Getting Pulled Over While On The Highway, Which Side To Go?

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, hwybear, Reflections, admin, Decatur, bend

JesseX

Getting Pulled Over While On The Highway, Which Side To Go?

Unread post by JesseX »

A friend and I were discussing highway driving and he mentioned that if you are in the passing lane and a police officer is pulling you over, you should stop on the left-hand shoulder because it's closer, so you don't have to cut across traffic. I'm not even sure myself. But I would imagine stopping on the right hand side would be safer for yourself and the officer. And I said you wouldn't be "cutting traffic", as other drivers would be aware that you are being pulled over, because of the flashing cruiser behind you. I was thinking maybe the only time to stop on the left was if the highway was packed full and getting to the right shoulder is nearly impossible to get to.

So I guess my question is: While driving on the highway and an officer is pulling you over, do you pull over to the closest shoulder, or always to right?

edit: forget to mention that this in regard with the 400-series highways, thanks

Decatur

Posting Awards

Unread post by Decatur »

The following section of the HTA is pretty clear. If it's a section of 400 series with more than 2 lanes you pull to the nearest edge of the roadway. If only 2, then you have to pull to the right.

159. (1) The driver of a vehicle, upon the approach of a police department vehicle with its bell or siren sounding or with its lamp producing intermittent flashes of red light or red and blue light, or upon the approach of an ambulance, fire department vehicle or public utility emergency vehicle with its bell or siren sounding or its lamp producing intermittent flashes of red light, shall immediately bring such vehicle to a standstill,

(a) as near as is practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway and parallel therewith and clear of any intersection; or

(b) when on a roadway having more than two lanes for traffic and designated for the use of one-way traffic, as near as is practicable to the nearest curb or edge of the roadway and parallel therewith and clear of any intersection. 2009, c. 5, s. 49.

JesseX

Unread post by JesseX »

That clears that up. Thank you