Where Does Hta Get Its Authority?

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

Are you asking about a specific authority? Or just simply how the Provincial Government passes a law? If its the latter, a bill is brought forward to the Legislative Assembly by a MPP. If the bill passes a first and second reading, its sent for review by committee. The committee would present a report with possible amendments/recommendations and then the bill is sent for a third reading. If the bill passes the third reading, it's sent to the Lieutenant Governor for Royal Assent and becomes an Act. The Act comes into force either at the time of assent or on a fixed date.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

Unread post by jsherk »

I guess I am looking for more specific information... for example, when was the bill read, and when was the HTA given Royal Assent?

And is the HTA (and any other act or statute) given authority based on the Canadian Constitution?

Thanks

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
Decatur

Posting Awards

Unread post by Decatur »

The Constitution Acts 1867-1982 actually set out the distribution of legislative powers between the Federal and Provincial Governments. The Ontario Highway Traffic Act was first introduced in 1923 and has had a number amendments due to changes in transportation since then.

daggx

Posting Awards

Unread post by daggx »

For further info I have attached a link to the Constitution act. Sections 91 and 92 outline which powers belong to the Federal Government and which ones belong to the Provinces. Section 92-10 gives the Provinces jurisdiction over "Local Works and Undertakings " which includes roads. Section 92-15 gives the Province the power to impose "Punishment by Fine, Penalty, or Imprisonment for enforcing any Law of the Province made in relation to any Matter coming within any of the Classes of Subjects enumerated in this Section." This allows them to make laws regarding any subject outlined in section 92 and to impose penalties for breaking those laws. Put those two together and you have the constitutional basis for allowing the Province to make and enforce laws over the use of the roads.

http://lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/Const/index.html