A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Squishy

by: Squishy on

Subsection (1) defines the term used in subsection (2). You can pretty much substitute the definition from subsection (1) into subsection (2):

"No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle that is equipped with or that carries or contains any device or equipment designed or intended for use in a motor vehicle to warn the driver of the presence of speed measuring equipment in the vicinity and includes any device or equipment designed or intended for use in a motor vehicle to interfere with the effective operation of speed measuring equipment."

Bookm

by: Bookm on

The odd thing about this section is it says "carries or contains" a speed warning device. But most cops say it's OK to carry it in the trunk, say, if an American visits Ontario with one. I see no provision in the statute which would allow one to transport it in the trunk.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

MODS...can one of you move the post from tdrive2 down to the SMWD section...this is not related to plates....thanx

If I have grounds a MV has a SMWD I will be searching for it and seize it when found! If I stop the MV for another violation and I see the SMWD in plain view I also will seize it.

Other than that, how would an officer know it is in the trunk? I have stopped MV before and they have opened their trunk for a licence etc and the SMWD is in there. I find that reasonable they have taken appropriate steps to comply with Ontario law and not be using the device. See, I do have a heart!!

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply