Left Turn (lakeshore And Spadina)

Traffic ticket for Prohibited turns? Learn the Highway Traffic Act here.
faraway63

Left Turn (lakeshore And Spadina)

Unread post by faraway63 »

I received a ticket yesterday for "prohibited left turn"-Contrary to By law 56.1 Section 34(1) and 18.75$.

It happened on E/B Lakeshore and N/B Spadina.

I am young driver and I am not sure about demerit points.Some of my friends are saying that no conviction will go on my record,other that i will have 2 demerit points.

Can anyone tell me what should I do?Will I get demerit points?

Any help and advice would be very much appreciated

Radar Identified

Unread post by Radar Identified »

Some by-law infractions can carry demerit points, and ones that prohibit turns are, unfortunately, ones that do. However, the municipalities aren't always bang-on with reporting such by-law infractions to MTO, so there's a good chance it will just go underneath their radar screen. If the officer had charged you with Proceed Contrary to Sign at Intersection under the Highway Traffic Act, section 144 (9), there would definitely be demerit points involved.

Your insurance company cares about HTA convictions, not demerit points, unless your demerit points reach the point where you'd get your licence suspended... if you're concerned about that.

If I were in your situation, I'd probably just pay it and let the chips fall as they may. $18.75, no driving conviction on record is better than $110, guaranteed 2 demerit points and a guaranteed conviction on your record. However, if you're really concerned about demerit points, you could plea-bargain to another municipal charge, such as disobeying an official sign, if you wanted to completely eliminate the possibility of the points. (Be careful to ensure that it's a municipal disobey sign and not HTA disobey sign.)

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca