A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Leafs

Right/left Turn Help

by: Leafs on

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm 17 years old and I'm going for my G2 test around mid August. My biggest problem is making right and left turns perfectly. Most of the time it's too wide or too narrow. I don't understand what my instructor mean when he say do it "half" and something about "three quarters". I don't dare to ask him questions because he will scream and talk for a long period of time. Does anyone have any tips or helpful strategy to make perfect turns on any streets?

Thanks.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

As most driving it is about eye lead. Do not look at the painted lines. You want to look to the centre of the lane you are turning into, once you start the turn you should be looking at least 100m down the road in that lane.

Once straight eye lead is at least 500m to 1km on highways, that way you can see other vehicles braking for situations and have lots of time to react.

In the city you again have eye lead of about 200-500m, however you have to constantly scan the sides for dangers (bicycles, children, other vehicles)

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

Well, just to make it nice and easy for you, your speed should be <20 km/h for a right turn and <30 km/h for the left one. Practice with your family member who had had a "G" license for 4+ years, just doing turns. And to make a full right turn you need to (usually, depending on a car model) turn your steering wheel about 3/4 of a turn to the right (so the top of the wheel faces your mirror), and 1/2 of a turn for the left one. Those are the "halfs" and "three quarters" your instructor was talking about. You should be able to do 2 full turns with your steering wheel, but that'd make turning too tight - use that for 3-point and U-turns.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
Leafs

by: Leafs on

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll practice hard on those turns. I just recently found out that if I stay parallel with the curb for right turns, my turns are usually more smoother. 8)

Bookm

by: Bookm on

I received a personal driving lesson with the countries top instructor. He really, really, really hated my style of "cutting the apex" (wide on entrance, tight to the curb in the centre, then wide on exit under acceleration) and strongly recommended I keep parallel to the curb, 3 feet away. It feels strange to me but I s'pose he's right ;)

Reflections

by: Reflections on

Ontario's highways and byways are not racetracks??????? :shock: Who came up with that idea. Shheesh

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Book has just watched the movie "CARS" way too much... :P

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply