Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
jsmith

Hta 144(18) Turning Right At 3-way Intersection

by: jsmith on

I just got a ticket for "red light - fail to stop", with the above quoted HTA section. Looking up that part of the act, it states "Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular red indication and facing the indication shall stop his or her vehicle and shall not proceed until a green indication is shown. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (18 )." Since I was turning right, I didn't have to wait until the light turned green (and there was no sign saying "no right turn on red"), so it's not clear to me if that was the appropriate section. What actually happened was the light turned red just as I got to the T-intersection, I slowed down (but I admit I did not come to a complete stop), and turned right. The light turned green for traffic running in the perpendicular direction as I was making the turn, and the vehicles in that direction had not started moving yet. I got pulled over immediately, was very polite, did not argue, and was issued the $180 ticket. Was the incorrect section quoted (and if so, does it make a difference), or is the act just poorly worded? Thanks!

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

it is the proper section....just need to scroll down in the HTA to section 19 which clarifies section 18

Red light

(18 ) Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular red indication and facing the indication shall stop his or her vehicle and shall not proceed until a green indication is shown

Exception – turn

(19) Despite subsection (18 ) and subject to subsection (14), a driver, after stopping his or her vehicle and yielding the right of way to traffic lawfully approaching so closely that to proceed would constitute an immediate hazard, may,

(a) turn to the right; or

(b) turn to the left from a one-way street into a one-way street,

without a green indication being shown

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply