neo333

by: neo333 on

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread with feedback and advice.

Yes, I was prepared, but I think you should be if you decide to defend yourself. You need explore all the angles and have an attack plan.

Officer was a no show, case closed.

From this experience, I've learned a few things. Most people are ignorant of their power. A high percentage of people never challenge their tickets. They simply pay the fine and suffer the insurance hikes. Even the minority of people who do challenge, get duped into deals. I sat in court a few days to observe the process and to ready myself for my appearance. I'd say 99% of the people there end up taking a deal. It's unfortunate that we do not know our rights, let alone defend them. 99% of people never ask for disclosure. They are not aware they are allowed it and this is a tragedy. I'm tempted to put a team together to hang out at the courts and hand out disclosure requests to everyone in line. And educate them on their rights and why they need disclosure. This would be a fantastic public service, and would put pressure on the prosecution and courts (increase 11b Charter success).

Anyway, hopefully my research will help others. I will continue to visit this board and put my two cents in. My wife just got her first speeding ticket of life, so here we go again! Maybe with my wife's trial I'll be able to bring up the invalid "self test" radar defense.

Cheers!

Last edited by neo333 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

Neo, we have a tradition here of congratulating people who beat their ticket whether through a stay, a not guilty verdict or a withdrawal for no cop showing. So well done. You have assembled quite the arsenal. Your wife is lucky to be married to a ticket fighting Rambo!

Fight Your Ticket!
Reflections

by: Reflections on

ticketcombat wrote:Neo, we have a tradition here of congratulating people who beat their ticket whether through a stay, a not guilty verdict or a withdrawal for no cop showing. So well done. You have assembled quite the arsenal. Your wife is lucky to be married to a ticket fighting Rambo!

Would that make it part ii????

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
liveontheedge

by: liveontheedge on

Congratulations, Neo!!!!!

You are right, 99% of people pleaded guilty for a lesser charge. I saw drivers waiting in the hallway for their trials, desperate for any help but they were not aware that the guys sitting next to them having the same speeding ticket from the same police officer. They certainly could help each other if they knew each other situation before the trial day.

While you are handing out the disclosure request, I am thinking we can create a list as described below.

Given that the city groups all cases for an officer on the same trial day, I am thinking we can do exactly the same using the internet creating a list to group all the alleged drivers under an officers ID number.

The list is simple:

Officers ID#

Offence date (optional)

Offence location (optional)

Drivers email address

Next trial date (if known)

Court location (if known)

For example, when a driver gets a ticket, he can log on to a site or a forum, enters the ticket information on the list. A couple months later, he checked the list again and found that there are 10 other drivers on the list who were nabbed at same speed trap on the same day by the same officer.

It maybe a short list assuming there were 30 drivers were caught, only 10 got on the list, out of 10 drivers maybe 6 will plead guilty and 4 will fight the ticket. 4 is enough for sharing information and mounting an effective defense.

These 4 drivers may end up having the same trial date (no need to be the same offence). If one goes to trial on that day it will clog up the day schedule and the other 3 automatically get an adjournment which certainly adds to 11(b) meter. The clog up will multiply at the next trial day because the officer will have more new cases added in to his trial schedule. These drivers with their email addresses posted on the list can also share information on officers notes, on speed gun or testify for each other…

Obviously the success depends on the number of participants, I dont expect much in the first couple years, but if we can get the words out it would become a powerful tool 5 years from now especially for drivers who want to do-it-yourself fighting ticket.

We need some new tactics because Bear is catching up to us.

What do you think?

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

neo333 wrote:Officer was a no show, case closed.

Congratulations on your win. :D

The amount of research and work you did will undoubtedly help many others. Sooner or later, your work will probably result in a precedent being set. Kudos to you.

Reflections

liveontheedge wrote:We need some new tactics because Bear is catching up to us.

Unless you live in the area, drive through on a regular basis or have a license plate that reads "REFLCION" or "SPEEDY", this is one "'bear" that is helpful. Although, he may share with his friends....... :?:

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

Good job neo!

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
Reflections

rusure wrote:Congrats on your win Neo.

And will you defend me? :lol:

Cheers!

From what we have seen here, Neo could consider a career change....

Post a Reply