A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Squishy

by: Squishy on

hwybear wrote:cellphone law is not in effect yet, but their in an excemption to use it for emergency purposes to dial 911

When is that law supposed to go into effect?

Also, if you are 20-30 km away from people, would you even have cell phone reception? Back in December my car got stuck on a sideroad just 6 km north of Fergus and there was no cell reception. I had to hike about a kilometre in around 20 cm of snow before hitching a ride on a snowplow. Got a bit of frostbite for my troubles.

FiReSTaRT

by: FiReSTaRT on

That's why I get more robust quad-band phones. They can get receptions just about anywhere. Even had a nice yap session at some bush air strip half-way b/w Yellowknife and the GBL.

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

FiReSTaRT wrote:That's why I get more robust quad-band phones. They can get receptions just about anywhere. Even had a nice yap session at some bush air strip half-way b/w Yellowknife and the GBL.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
FiReSTaRT

We were also equipped with nice satellite data gear, but that only became necessary once we made it to the bush camp.

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

Squishy wrote:Also, if you are 20-30 km away from people, would you even have cell phone reception? Back in December my car got stuck on a sideroad just 6 km north of Fergus and there was no cell reception. I had to hike about a kilometre in around 20 cm of snow before hitching a ride on a snowplow. Got a bit of frostbite for my troubles.

Who's your cellphone provider? Bell and Telus have rather spotty reception. Their phones don't even work on UofG's campus for crying out loud.

FiReSTaRT

It can also depend on the phone.. Here are examples...

1) Telus - With a good phone, people were getting crystal clear reception all over Northern Ontario and in Yellowknife

2) Rogers/Fido - With a crappy tri-band phone (weak antenna, too), I lost reception in a Chinese restaurant in Richmond Hill and in a Wal Mart in Aurora.

3) Rogers/Fido - With a good quad band you can get reception just about anywhere, I even received a phonecall under ground lol

Squishy

by: Squishy on

My provider is Fido. I bet it's the phone, I'm using a Nokia 6190 from 1998.

I had a sexy quad band flip phone, but the Java interface was too slow for me, especially with the size of my address book. I never got reception underground, though. We relied on pagers in the subway tunnels.

FiReSTaRT

I bought an el-cheapo Chinese A008 phone for $100 shipped. Quad band, dual sim, touchscreen (but it has a numeric pad and a few other buttons), camera, etc etc etc. The reception is awesome.

tdrive2

by: tdrive2 on

Haha.

Guys does this taxi have a discounted ride for the 50 over stunt driving charge?

What is the fares for it? Does the more you speed the cheaper the fare and 50 over is a free ride home!

Anyways he doesn't have a spectre in his taxi from the looks.

They must be really desperate for cash. No spectre in an enforcement vehicle as an under cover taxi!

Anyways when in doubt look at those rims.

I hate taxi's they scare the hell out of me. Especially when they use those black steal rims the cops use.

tdrive2

by: tdrive2 on

Sorry i just had to ask.

Was that Julian Fantino behind the wheel making our roads safer?

FiReSTaRT

tdrive2 wrote:Sorry i just had to ask.

Was that Julian Fantino behind the wheel making our roads safer?

No, he was busy intimidating witnesses and blackballing underlings :shock: This is a local Halton matter, nothing to do with the OPP.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

FiReSTaRT wrote:Even had a nice yap session at some bush air strip half-way b/w Yellowknife and the GBL.

Are you a field geologist, by any chance?

FiReSTaRT

Close enough.. Did geophysical data pre-processing and some field work... Gravitating towards GIS work these days. A lot easier than geophysics and the money's better.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

FiReSTaRT wrote:No, he was busy intimidating witnesses and blackballing underlings

When his OPP career is over, which might be within a year or two, Fantino's put his name in the hat to run for the Mayor of Vaughan. I'm not kidding, either. Wonder how much of a chance he has. It's the same municipality that elected Michael DiBiase, who crashed his car while running red lights three times while in office, then crashed his car by rear-ending someone while on the cellphone the year after he left. It's also the same city that elected Linda Jackson, who is embroiled in a huge controversy right now as well. :?

FiReSTaRT wrote:Did geophysical data pre-processing and some field work...

Thought it was something related. Lots of people are doing exploration and field work up north these days, including my sister who is a field geologist based in Vancouver.

FiReSTaRT

I read about that. But since I believe that you have to be a special piece of "work" to be a successful politician, I wouldn't be surprised if he won in a landslide.

Post a Reply