G2 And And B.a.c Above Zero Ticket

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

juice1971

G2 And And B.a.c Above Zero Ticket

Unread post by juice1971 »

Hi everyone, looking for some guidance. I just got a call from my daughter who is away at University. This past Sunday at 5:30 in the morning a few of her roommates talked her into going for a drive (driving roommates car) and while goofing around in a school parking lot down the street a police officer pulled her over. The officer asked her if she'd been drinking to which she replied earlier in the evening she had had a few drinks so she was given a breathalyzer. The test indicated B.A.C was above 0.00. (not sure what actual reading was - not indicated on the ticket).

This resulted in the following;

Immediate 3 day license suspension

$110.00 Ticket for having a BAC over 0.00 with a G2 license

$110.00 ticket for not having her drivers license in her possession

The officer then handed her the keys and instructed her and her friends to leave the car and walk home (5 minutes away)

Now I have questions;

Besides the 2 tickets, will she need to go to court?

She was driving a friends car - what insurance factors do I need to be aware of? Will it affect her (my) insurance - her friends insurance? Do I need to call my insurance and inform them?

What comes next ? Reinstatement? Will she need to start her graduated license all over again?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance for your time, I really appreciate it.

juice1971

Unread post by juice1971 »

Hi Everyone, I called the local regional police and spoke to the information officer. Got all the answers I need. Thanks anyways

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

juice1971 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:37 am

Besides the 2 tickets, will she need to go to court?

She is only charged. She will still need to be convicted. This will be a whole conversation in itself depending how you proceed.

The 3 day suspension itself should not impact your rates. It's what they call an "administrative suspension." Insurance providers are not allowed to use them for determining rates (there are exemptions, but not for this particular scenario).

Both tickets, upon possible conviction, can be used in determining future rates.

juice1971 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:37 amShe was driving a friends car - what insurance factors do I need to be aware of? Will it affect her (my) insurance - her friends insurance? Do I need to call my insurance and inform them?

The convictions would follow her license. If she's under your policy, it will impact your rates. Technically speaking, yes, you're required to report any changes to your provider that may affect your policy. It's in all those papers you signed. Does anybody do it? Not really, no.

Had she gotten into an accident, then the friends insurance would cover any costs in regards to damages. The friend would be stuck with the implications of what insurance providers call a "chargeable accident" and the friends rates would likely increase also.

juice1971 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:37 amWhat comes next ? Reinstatement? Will she need to start her graduated license all over again?

Since your daughter has a G2, she falls under the "Novice Driver Escalating Sanctions."

Breaking any of the restrictions on her license (eg. zero BAC) or being convicted of any offense that carries 4 or more demerit points is considered a strike.

1st offense is a 30 day suspension. 2nd is 90 days. 3rd and you start over.

Any penalties would start when/if she is convicted.

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

Just one more thing to add.

For insurance purposes, convictions are split up into three categories. Those are minor, major, and serious. These three categories have their own surcharge percentage. Everything that falls into one category will be issued the same surcharge for determining rates. Example, all minor offenses would be treated the same.

Not surrendering a license upon request is considered a "minor" offense. Most of your everyday tickets will fall into this category. If you've ever received a speeding ticket (1-49km over), rolled a stop sign, etc... expect much of the same.

G2 driver with alcohol in their blood is a whole different story. It's considered a "serious" offense. This category is for the worst of the worst. This category is for those who drive without a valid license, insurance, race, are impaired, etc.

A lot of people will find out that their regular insurance wont insure them with a serious conviction. In that case, you'll be left to look for high risk insurance or facility.

You might have some tough choices to make if you share your policy with your daughter. It might come down to filing an "excluded driver endorsement." It's a form where you'll agree that your daughter wont ever drive your vehicles. That way you can go back to your normal rates.