Passed School Bus That Only Had Red Lights Flashing In Opposing Traffic Lane.

DarnetGarnet

Passed School Bus That Only Had Red Lights Flashing In Opposing Traffic Lane.

Unread post by DarnetGarnet »

Hello everyone,

I have a situation that's made me very concerned and I'm not sure if I was in the wrong for this. Also, not sure what to expect either.

I turned right on a two-lane road (one for each direction) and came upon a school bus. They turned on their red lights just before I reached them and even someone was moving along behind them as I passed by in the opposite lane. I saw them stop further down the road behind me, put their sign out, and let some kids disembark near a building.

Now, (sorry to sound like an idiot) can I get in trouble for this? Can I get a ticket? I don't think I could've stopped safely but I'm likely second guessing here. Do I need to worry about demerit points? What about my insurance?

DCamM

Posting Awards

Unread post by DCamM »

The school bus must be STOPPED.

If it's still moving, you're not breaking any laws.

However, cutting it close could draw unwanted attention from police, so you're always wise to prepare to stop anytime you see a school bus.

***I am not a lawyer, I have no legal qualifications and my opinions could well be wrong***.
lord_Relish

Posting Awards

Unread post by lord_Relish »

Here's what I don't understand about Ontario school buses.... everywhere else (all US states and most of Canada) they have both yellow AND red lights up top. The red only flash when the bus HAS stopped and the door is OPEN. If they are approaching the stop and/or not yet letting kids on and off, the yellow flash to warn you that a stop is coming. Exactly like yellow traffic lights.

WHY in Ontario are they only red? It creates confusion as you CAN pass the bus if it is still moving.... but the second it stops you can't. The OP in this thread may have tried to jam on the breaks so as not to pass the RED lights, when it was not required, and cause more problems.

DCamM

Posting Awards

Unread post by DCamM »

The Safer School Buses Act of 2021 would require all Ontario provincial school buses manufactured after 2005 to be equipped with the amber-red dual lamp warning system by September 2022, which would match the safety laws in place throughout the rest of Canada and across the U.S.

Mike Harris, the member of provincial parliament representing Kitchener-Conestoga, introduced the bill on Feb. 16 to propose changes to Section 175 of the Highway Traffic Safety Act. It calls for the two inner red overhead signals on the front and rear of school buses to be replaced with amber lights that would activate when a school bus driver is approaching a stop.

***I am not a lawyer, I have no legal qualifications and my opinions could well be wrong***.
Torontodriver16

Unread post by Torontodriver16 »

If you don’t get a ticket in the next 2-4 weeks don’t even worry

It also doesn’t affect demerits or insurance