A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

northernleaffan

Called To Pay Speeding Ticket And Was Told They Didn't Have It On File.

by: northernleaffan on

I received a speeding ticket in northern Ontario last Monday April 22 for just 15km/hr over the limit. I called the number on the ticket to pay yesterday and they said they didn't have my ticket on file and that the officer probably hasn't filed the ticket yet. Person on phone (I'm guessing the clerk) also said if it isn't filed within 7 days then the ticket is effectively dismissed. Does anyone know if this is true? If so is there anything I need to do or any paperwork I need to prove I tried to pay but that it showed up as dismissed/filed incorrectly? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

They have 7 days to file the ticket.

They have 6 months from the date of offense to charge you. If they want, they can just rewrite another ticket, give it to you, and file that.

However, the chances of them further pursuing a 15km over ticket is usually slim. In Northern Ontario though, who knows.

northernleaffan

by: northernleaffan on

So do I need any proof that it wasn't filed within the 7 days?

As well if it isn't re-written within the 6 months does that mean it won't show up as a conviction and won't be on my record for either insurance or whoever else to see?

Post a Reply