A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

viper1

Curious About This

by: viper1 on

This happened today.

I was going north on salem road to turn east onto the 401.

The light was red for all but the cars coming down the ramp from the eastbound exit ramp.

I can clearly see that there should be no traffic other then me.

I start turning and see a car coming straight through the intersection?(to re-enter the 401 on the other side of the ramp.)

We almost crashed!!!

I know he was just trying to save 30 or so seconds but is his action legal?

All ideas welcome.

He was going well over the normal speed for an intersection.

Thanks

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
BelSlySTi

by: BelSlySTi on

I don't think it's legal as I have seen the Police there pulling people doing this very thing, OPP detachment is just on Brock so it's convenient for them too :)

[img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l352/toastedwhitebread/Untitled-TrueColor-03.jpg[/img]
racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

What he did (besides speeding) was not illegal. He does make himself look like an A-Hole though. I do not think that were he to crash into you that would be his fault. Address the township of Ajax to place a sign that disallows going straight through that intersection (ie driver must make a turn).

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
BelSlySTi

by: BelSlySTi on

I am almost positive that there is a sign there!

[img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l352/toastedwhitebread/Untitled-TrueColor-03.jpg[/img]
viper1

BelSlySTi wrote:I am almost positive that there is a sign there!

There is a sign like that at Westney but not here yet.

Cheers

Viper1

use at your own risk"
Squishy

by: Squishy on

At what point does the speed limit become what it is for the road the ramp connects to? Is it 100 km/h all the way up to the intersection (and thus 100 km/h all the way through to the on-ramp), become the speed limit of the road at the beginning of the ramp, or does it assume the 50/80 km/h unsigned speed limit?

Reflections

by: Reflections on

At what point does the speed limit become what it is for the road the ramp connects to?

Once you start to travel in the direction of the connecting road....you were travelling east-west, now you turn and start to travel north-south...new speed limit now applies...

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Squishy wrote:So on/off-ramps assume the speed limit of the highway?

Yes, unless posted differently by black and white signs......yellow speed signs are cautionary/recommendations only and not enforceable.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Squishy

by: Squishy on

What do the cops stop you for when they park on the ramp shoulder then? I've never been stopped by one before, but I have had people in front and behind me picked off. Seatbelt?

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

viper1 wrote:I know he was just trying to save 30 or so seconds but is his action legal?

Legal, yeah. Safe... well, I think we know the answer to that. Anyway, he's probably one of the dozens of pinheads who I encounter on the DVP every day during stop-and-go traffic: Pinhead is in right lane. Pinhead pulls onto off-ramp or on-ramp, passes 10 or 15 cars that are in the right lane, then cuts back into right lane. Happens, literally, at every ramp. This only causes more delays. It's even better when someone is on the on-ramp trying to merge properly, but it slowed down to try to push into the right lane: Pinhead blows by them on the shoulder. :roll:

viper1

Radar Identified wrote:
viper1 wrote:I know he was just trying to save 30 or so seconds but is his action legal?

Legal, yeah. Safe... well, I think we know the answer to that. Anyway, he's probably one of the dozens of pinheads who I encounter on the DVP every day during stop-and-go traffic: Pinhead is in right lane. Pinhead pulls onto off-ramp or on-ramp, passes 10 or 15 cars that are in the right lane, then cuts back into right lane. Happens, literally, at every ramp. This only causes more delays. It's even better when someone is on the on-ramp trying to merge properly, but it slowed down to try to push into the right lane: Pinhead blows by them on the shoulder. :roll:

I would like to see those people lose there car for a week.

I just keep with-in an inch of the car in front of me so they can't get back in.

My estimate is that for the 30 seconds they save they cost 10 others to lose 1 minute(with the turtle effect)

Cheers

Viper1

use at your own risk"
Post a Reply