A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

greybrick

29km/h Over In A 70 Zone.

by: greybrick on

Today I was apparently clocked going 99km/h in a 70 zone. The officer reduced my ticket to 15km/h over. I have a few questions;

1) While the officer stated to me that I was going 29km/h over, is it possible that this number is even higher?

2) If I select a trial option and decide to plead guilty rather than proceeding with the trial, will the ticket still be reduced? In other words, how long can I push the ticket back before pleading guilty?

As you might guess, my goal is actually to delay the ticket as much as it is to fight it. My insurance renewal is in October so I'm hoping that if my trial is pushed back that this ticket won't immediately impact my renewal as I have a ticket that is just over two years old on my record.

Additionally, if my goal is to delay a conviction for as long as possible rather than to beat the ticket is early resolution beneficial in pushing back the trial date or is it just a waste of time. I don't expect to beat my ticket but I am hoping that my current conviction (again 15km/h over) is wiped from my abstract before this one takes his place.

Zatota

Posting Awards

by: Zatota on

greybrick wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:57 pm

Today I was apparently clocked going 99km/h in a 70 zone. The officer reduced my ticket to 15km/h over. I have a few questions;

1) While the officer stated to me that I was going 29km/h over, is it possible that this number is even higher?

Yes it is, but he probably gave you the actual number.

greybrick wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:57 pm2) If I select a trial option and decide to plead guilty rather than proceeding with the trial, will the ticket still be reduced? In other words, how long can I push the ticket back before pleading guilty?
Yes. The charge remains as-is unless you decide to plead not guilty. If you do so, it will be amended to reflect a speed of 29 km/h over the limit.

greybrick wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:57 pmAs you might guess, my goal is actually to delay the ticket as much as it is to fight it. My insurance renewal is in October so I'm hoping that if my trial is pushed back that this ticket won't immediately impact my renewal as I have a ticket that is just over two years old on my record.

Additionally, if my goal is to delay a conviction for as long as possible rather than to beat the ticket is early resolution beneficial in pushing back the trial date or is it just a waste of time. I don't expect to beat my ticket but I am hoping that my current conviction (again 15km/h over) is wiped from my abstract before this one takes his place.

Don't bother with early resolution. You're just going to waste more of your time. Unless you live in a sparsely populated part of the province, your trial date is likely to be after October.

Post a Reply