A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
Evan_Robert

60km/h In A 40km/h School Zone - School Zone Dropped.

by: Evan_Robert on

I have a G2 license, but have a G test in a few weeks. I have already gone through the first two tiers of the escalated offences for novice drivers. I got a ticket for going 60 in a 40 school zone. I told the officer that I had just recently gotten a suspended license back and he decided to drop the school zone part. He also said take it to court and ask the judge to drop the demerit points.

How do I do this? Is it possible that the court will see that it was a school zone and bump it up again? If I get my full G will that help with anything in this case?

Thanks!

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Speeding carries its own set of demerit points. Speeding in designated zones will increase the fine, but wont change the points.

Your charge carries 3 demerit points. As it seems you are aware, any charge with 4 or more demerit points carries an automatic suspension for a novice driver. You are safe on that front.

I'm pretty sure any 4 or more demerit point charge isn't counted towards your overall points total once you've been suspended, but don't take my word for it. If you need a copy of your abstract, you can purchase one immediately online in pdf format and check for yourself. I don't know any of your previous history or whether or not you've accumulated enough points elsewhere to put you into suspension territory.

Any roadside reduction can be brought back up to its original charge if you end up in a trial.

It's also possible you could be offered a reduced charge that would leave you with zero points for this incident.

Points also don't show up on your record until they day you are convicted. If you wish to request a trial, you can put off having the points for several months. On your trial date, you will be offered a deal if your charge has enough flexibility for it. You can continue with your driving tests in the meantime.

Post a Reply