Dr Wrong Way Divided Highway Cn Police

HTA section 156 (1) (a) - Driving the wrong way on a divided road
Capitaltrevor

Dr Wrong Way Divided Highway Cn Police

Unread post by Capitaltrevor »

Hi. I was recently charged with this offence, basically turned left I to Tim Hortons over the railroad tracks . Officer said he was acting on behalf of CN police, was hiding behind the Tim Hortons so I'm guessing this is a usual mistake. I crossed the tracks turning left on an angle, was in the wrong lane for the nemgth of my truck. Any suggestions? I've selected a trial and am going good to give written request for disclosure today.

Zatota

Posting Awards

Unread post by Zatota »

Where did this occur? What lane markings were there? You say you were in the wrong lane for the length of your truck; that means you are admitting you were driving the wrong way.

In any event, do not request disclosure until you receive your trial date.

Capitaltrevor

Unread post by Capitaltrevor »

This was on hardy road turning into the back entrance of Tim Hortons . There was a lane divider sign , a 20' divider and a no U-turn sign at the other end. I turned left before the median into the parking lot. I recieved a trial date, requested disclosure. I know it wasn't a legal left turn, just want to know if there is any way of lessening the charge from driving the wrong way as I was only in the wrong lane for the length of the left turn. Thanks.

Zatota

Posting Awards

Unread post by Zatota »

I found it on Google Maps. You were definitely on the wrong side of the road.

Unless something happens with disclosure (e.g., it's not provided to you despite several requests), this is going to be tough to beat. Perhaps you could convince the prosecutor to amend the charge to Green light - fail to proceed as directed under Subsection 144(12) of the HTA. It's the same set fine as your charge, but there are no demerit points. If the prosecutor won't go for that, an improper left turn is also the same fine, but two demerit points instead of your charge's three.