A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

orillia3

Bicycle Fails To Trip Green Light Sensor Coil

by: orillia3 on

I cannot find this topic, I am sure it has been discussed as it is the bane of motorcyclists and cyclists when the sensor coils fail to trip for a green light and it stays red forever. It seems there is no provision in section 144 to proceed through a red light that has failed to trip. We are discussing this situation on a bicycle forum on what to do, how legal is it to proceed, and if on a motorcycle would one have to defend a red light camera ticket?

Can one proceed through the red light considering the light to be defective, even though this is not addressed in the law. If not what options are there.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

No, it would not be legal to proceed. If there's a pedestrian crossing present, I would suggest simply dismounting and activating the crossing button. Another legal option would be to make a right turn at the light, proceed a safe distance, then make a u-turn and another right turn back at the intersection.

Zatota

Posting Awards

by: Zatota on

Stanton wrote:No, it would not be legal to proceed. If there's a pedestrian crossing present, I would suggest simply dismounting and activating the crossing button. Another legal option would be to make a right turn at the light, proceed a safe distance, then make a u-turn and another right turn back at the intersection.
Provided, of course, the U-turn can be made safely and legally.

DCamM

Posting Awards

by: DCamM on

Small blocks of metal are sold especially for this problem and can be attached to the bottom of bicycles, footwera and motorcycles so that the wires in the ground can detect a "vehicle". Usually you can see the wire's location imbedded into the pavement.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Traffic ... your-Bike/

Or ... on a bicycle, you coulds kill two birds with one stone by wearing steel heel & toe protectors. You'll sound so cool walking down the street that you'll have people lining up to meet you.

Of course, there is seldom a valid excuse for breaking a law, so think ahead before approaching a traffic light that you might be stuck at forever.

Attachments
Way cool clickers.jpg
Way cool clickers.jpg (61.13 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
***I am not a lawyer, I have no legal qualifications and my opinions could well be wrong***.
orillia3

by: orillia3 on

Section 144.(18) is particularly unforgiving.

"Red light

(18) Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular red indication and facing the indication shall stop his or her vehicle and shall not proceed until a green indication is shown."

This problem is also experienced with some motorcycles when the sensitivity of the signal is set too high (or is that too low?) and will not trip the light to change. Running the red light on a motorcycle would be 3 demerit points. Dismounting and pushing the pedestrian button can be problematic instead of the fine and demerits. You would think there would be a provision for poorly functioning traffic control signals.

I believe the devices sold are neodynium magnets and reports seem to say they are as unreliable as the traffic lights they are trying to change.

Those clickers for shoes were popular sometime in the last century when I was a teenager and I wore them, and shoes then were made of real leather, not plastic, and shined with shoe polish. Maybe I should have saved some of my old shoes. :)

Observer135

Posting Awards

by: Observer135 on

Decatur wrote:If you're turning from a one way street to a one way street you can go left on a red light.

After driving for over 3 decades, learned something new. I had no idea it is legal to make a left turn at a red light when turning from a one way street onto a one way street.

Thank you for sharing.

Zatota

Posting Awards

by: Zatota on

Observer135 wrote:After driving for over 3 decades, learned something new. I had no idea it is legal to make a left turn at a red light when turning from a one way street onto a one way street.

Thank you for sharing.

That was relatively new when I started driving at the end of 1979. My in-class instructor made sure we knew about it. I believe the Driver's Handbook mentions it. It makes perfect sense. But there are still a lot of people who don't know about it. I've had puzzled looks from pedestrians and other drivers when I've done it.

EphOph

by: EphOph on

Zatota wrote:
Observer135 wrote:After driving for over 3 decades, learned something new. I had no idea it is legal to make a left turn at a red light when turning from a one way street onto a one way street.

Thank you for sharing.

That was relatively new when I started driving at the end of 1979. My in-class instructor made sure we knew about it. I believe the Driver's Handbook mentions it. It makes perfect sense. But there are still a lot of people who don't know about it. I've had puzzled looks from pedestrians and other drivers when I've done it.

In the city I live in, there are only two such intersections. And they have posted a "No left turns on red" sign at both.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

Personally I think it is ludicrous that they can put in a system that does not work for legal users of the roads. They need to either go to timed light changes or, as in the UK, cameras to detect vehicles.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
Post a Reply