Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

In short: 19 + G2 + traffic ticket = OMG MY INSURANCE IS INSANE!! There are only a couple of insurance companies that tend to be sympathetic to younger/inexperienced drivers who get tickets, but the overwhelming majority of them will drive your rates through the stratosphere, particularly for an offence such as following too closely.

Following too closely is something that needs an "affected driver," meaning the person you were tailgating. Without a collision, unless the officer managed to identify and name the affected driver (good luck with that), there's only a very tiny chance of the ticket standing up. Send the ticket in requesting a trial, along with a disclosure request. The disclosure request is where you can ask for the officer's notes and other evidence against you.

At trial (if it goes that far), you'd have to ask them: "Who/where is the affected driver?" The officer cannot be the affected driver. No affected driver, no case, no demerit points, no fine, no insurance increase. By the way where was the officer when s/he observed you "follow too close"?

Good luck with it!

soulclap

by: soulclap on

THANK YOU!

I think I may have screwed myself over though! My mother told me I needed to pay off the fine online before I could fight it!! ARG! I think that just may have made me guilty!

The only two people on the road were ME AND THE OFFICER!

He pulled me over for "speeding" originally and said he would give me a following to close ticket!

soulclap

Ok, I talked to the court - they said I could appeal for paying and basically claiming guilt.

Might take a little longer, but theres hope!

soulclap

I will elaborate:

I was on a 3 lane road with me and police car in a 70 zone. We were both on the left hand lane and my right turn was coming up, I flicked to turn right and sped up a bit (maybe 80-85). I went to the right of the cop, then turned to go to the next right lane and as I looked back the cops lights were flashing and he asked me to pull over.

He yelled at me a bit and asked if I knew what the speed limit was, I told him ok I was speeding a little and I didn't want to argue. He went back, wrote the ticket and said hes going to give me "following to close" - and left.

I was sort of in a panic when I got home and my mom said to pay the ticket - dumb move now that I know how easy it would be to apply not guilty.

Bookm

by: Bookm on

Moms ALWAYS want to pay quick because they're terrified of their babies getting in serious trouble with the law. My boys friend has a mother that claimed she would rather pay her son's extra insurance rate than to see him anywhere near a courthouse.

NEVER LET MOM'S GIVE ADVISE ON TICKETS! LOL. It's YOUR money and driving record at stake. You're old enough to learn how the system works and fight your own battles. It's just a lousy ticket... not like you're going to jail or anything! LOL

soulclap

Truths, can't blame my mom though - its my fault for listening.

All I can say for the appeal (which is the truth) is that I thought I had to pay it off before pleading not guilty, it was my first time getting a ticket (been driving with a G2 for almost 3 years) and I wasn't sure of the procedure. I paid it off online so I still have the actual ticket, and I paid the thing off before the ticket was even put into the system! (I was told to wait a week before appealing)

Any other advice on preparing would be AWESOME!

But I think I'm set and know what needs to be done as of now.

Reflections

by: Reflections on

you said 80-85......15 over ticket is way better then following to close IMHO. See if you can appeal, you may need paid expertise though

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
soulclap

Paid expertise will be 500$ for the appeal, guess it would be best getting them for it.

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

Good luck with that!

$500 is likely better than $100 paid monthly for 3 years...

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Our court system is brutal......they allow appeals for everything and anything :roll:

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

hwybear wrote:Our court system is brutal......they allow appeals for everything and anything :roll:

Even for a wrongful ticket...

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
tdrive2

by: tdrive2 on

Go to court, always, always.

The system is flooded anyways. They cant handle it all. The more people that go to court the worse it gets.

The whole system of traffic tickets depends on people paying.

The more people that go means they will have to do a few things. Give less tickets. Charge less so people actually pay and don't fight. Raise the limit.

If every single person took their ticket to court it would crumble.

Post a Reply