Buddy123

Trial Completed - Now For The $439.00 Fine (out-of-province)

by: Buddy123 on

Hi all,

Long story short I am an Ontario Resident and back in February of 2016 I was pulled over in Banff for going 130 km/h in an apparent 90 km/h zone. The ticket was taken to court in AB and the offence was reduced to a s.57 Rules of the Road "Disobey Traffic Control Device" which carries 2 demerit points. I was informed by my representative that due to an agreement between ON-AB any conviction under s.57 would not carry the demerit points to my Ontario record. True story! I have since registered a new vehicle, ordered a new abstract and alas no points!

NOW I am contemplating the payment of the non-reduced $439.00 fine attached to the original speeding offence.

My question is as follows:

1. If this fine is not paid by the due date to the Province of Alberta, what are the consequences for myself as an Ontario resident?

- I am aware of the reciprocal agreement between provinces; however, it appears very unclear as to what would result if I decided to not pay this o/s fine. Banff is beautiful and I would not hesitate to make lovely donation to the park but this one leaves a slightly bitter taste in my mouth.

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Another guy who got a ticket :)

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Buddy123 wrote:1. If this fine is not paid by the due date to the Province of Alberta, what are the consequences for myself as an Ontario resident?

From a driving stand point, it's possible you would be considered suspended in Alberta. If you're caught driving there, you'd be driving with a suspended license.

Buddy123 wrote:- I am aware of the reciprocal agreement between provinces; however, it appears very unclear as to what would result if I decided to not pay this o/s fine. Banff is beautiful and I would not hesitate to make lovely donation to the park but this one leaves a slightly bitter taste in my mouth.

The reciprocal agreement means they'd treat the conviction as if it happened in Ontario (if the particular charge is listed in the agreement). That means the points would be applied as if it happened in Ontario (Alberta points are irrelevant) and the conviction would be on your record for your insurance provider to consider.

I do not believe the Province of Ontario is going to penalize or chase you around for the fine. Although, I guess it's possible (they may withold your stickers next time). Someone else might have to answer that. I'm not positive there.

daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

Alberta is one of the provinces that has made a deal with the Canada Revenue Agency to divert income tax refunds and GST rebates to pay outstanding fines. If you ignore the fine at some point in the future you may see your tax refund clawed back to pay off the amount owing plus any accumulated late penalties.

https://www.justice.alberta.ca/programs ... ncial.aspx
Post a Reply