A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

art deco

Random Nightmare

by: art deco on

I received a letter the other day from a lawyer indicating that his client was making a claim for injuries as a result of a car accident and I should forward the letter to my insurance company so that the matter can be dealt with... I have no idea what he is talking about and so I contact him to find out. Seems my car was being driven by someone and was in an accident. I still have no idea what he is talking about so he emails the Accident Report.

Sure enough, that's my car's plate number and that's my car... but insurance information was provided. which is odd because the registration and pink slip are kept together in the car. So why one and not the other?

it was a rear end collision on the QEW and one would think that if there was sufficient suggestion of injury to the other driver to interest a lawyer, that there should be some visible damage to both vehicles; I would think the airbags on the following vehicle would have deployed as well. The problem is that the car listed on the accident report is sitting in the driveway right now and just fine. with the rust and bubbled paint still very much in place (sadly). No dents, no airbag deployment, and not possible it was involved in an accident on the QEW.

But it's the vehicle named in the accident report and so I'm the guy he's coming after...

The Accident Report is a legal document I think so one would expect the information to be accurate, and that is enough for the lawyer it seems. What I don't understand is how my vehicle got on the report in the first place. Although I have no way to prove it, the car was 30 miles away at the time of the accident.

Any suggestions here would be appreciated.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

So I assuming the accident report was given by the other person, claiming there was some kind of accident? Was there any proof of an accident (pics/video) other than this persons word?

What part of your vehicle supposedly hit the other vehicle?

Anyway I would definitely contact your insurance company right away and then ask them how to proceed and if you should call police to come and view your car. And if you are saying your car was definitely not involved, then this would be insurance fraud so the insurance company and police will probably need to get involved.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
art deco

by: art deco on

no... the driver gave a statement. it was a rear end collision and the police attended. I'm assuming the police charged the driver with following too closely and would have the VIN on the ticket... Unless the driver failed to produce in which case he would be further charged with driving without proof of insurance at least... My guess is though that the charge is protected by privacy legislation so is unavailable. I don't think it is fraud at all... I think someone entered the wrong plate # and it spit out my car.

Definately don't want to talk to my insurance company... they'll raise my rates just for bothering them.... hehehe...

My issue is that the HTA charge would probably have more accurate information than that collected at the reporting centre.

Other than pointing out that the car has obviously NOT been in an accident, I don't know how to go about correcting the error

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

One type of fraud is when people find a car matching their car. They then create plates with your registration but put it on their, identical car. This can resuot in tolls and photo infractions coming to you or even, as may be the case here, collision related claims.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

argyll wrote:One type of fraud is when people find a car matching their car. They then create plates with your registration but put it on their, identical car. This can resuot in tolls and photo infractions coming to you or even, as may be the case here, collision related claims.

^^^^^^^^ this, we used to call it cloning, canuks call it the same ?

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

in the UK, many many years ago I was hit in my company car by a car that turned out to be cloned

car reg and details had been taken from a car which was just sitting in somone drive not in use

argyll wrote:One type of fraud is when people find a car matching their car. They then create plates with your registration but put it on their, identical car. This can resuot in tolls and photo infractions coming to you or even, as may be the case here, collision related claims.
--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
Post a Reply