geodude

Is A Ticket Likely Coming My Way

by: geodude on

So full story,

I am stopped at a green light, waiting for the car in front of me to complete a left turn (I was going straight through). The car in front of me makes his turn and I start to move. I quickly realized the light was changing from amber to red, and I decided to stop. However my vehicle did move past the white line, and stopped blocking some of the crosswalk (maybe half or slightly more). To my horror, I also noticed that I was in a red light camera intersection (and may have seen the flash go off)

I am unsure if I passed the white line when the light was amber or red, but being red can't be ruled out. My question is that since I didn't proceed through the intersection, should I be worried? The intersection in question is in Toronto (Bloor/Dundas)

jimm

by: jimm on

geodude wrote:So full story,

I am stopped at a green light, waiting for the car in front of me to complete a left turn (I was going straight through). The car in front of me makes his turn and I start to move. I quickly realized the light was changing from amber to red, and I decided to stop. However my vehicle did move past the white line, and stopped blocking some of the crosswalk (maybe half or slightly more). To my horror, I also noticed that I was in a red light camera intersection (and may have seen the flash go off)

I am unsure if I passed the white line when the light was amber or red, but being red can't be ruled out. My question is that since I didn't proceed through the intersection, should I be worried? The intersection in question is in Toronto (Bloor/Dundas)

passed white line by how much, 1/4 of car body? I think 1/2 is even okay, that will fail roadtest only, nothing other than that.

geodude

by: geodude on

I am having a bit of a hard time recalling exactly how much I passed the line by, however my worst-case estimate puts the rear tire around the white line (either slightly before or slightly past it). My car was not sticking out far enough to impede any traffic in the intersection, and I think pedestrians had some room to cross without stepping into the intersection (not that there were any)

jimm

by: jimm on

geodude wrote:I am having a bit of a hard time recalling exactly how much I passed the line by, however my worst-case estimate puts the rear tire around the white line (either slightly before or slightly past it). My car was not sticking out far enough to impede any traffic in the intersection, and I think pedestrians had some room to cross without stepping into the intersection (not that there were any)

100% okay, no ticket, but only hated by pedestrians

UnluckyDuck

Posting Awards

by: UnluckyDuck on

jimm wrote:
geodude wrote:I am having a bit of a hard time recalling exactly how much I passed the line by, however my worst-case estimate puts the rear tire around the white line (either slightly before or slightly past it). My car was not sticking out far enough to impede any traffic in the intersection, and I think pedestrians had some room to cross without stepping into the intersection (not that there were any)

100% okay, no ticket, but only hated by pedestrians

^^ Where are you getting your information from. That is incorrect.

The HTA states you must stop behind the white line when the light is red. If you were already ahead of the line when the light was amber you will be fine. But if the light was red, and you were behind it and crossed it, most likely the camera caught your plate, and it is up to the reviewing officer whether or not they want to charge you. I personally have triggered a RLC for stopping in front of the line and never received a ticket, but I've heard of people who have gotten charged, so it's a hit and miss.

Post a Reply