The Ontario Highway Traffic Act section 78.1(1) deals with Hand-held devices and distracted driving.
besimbego

1st Ever Ticket, Not Sure What To Do

by: besimbego on

I'm a 19 year old guy and I just got my first ever ticket on June 22nd. I have never gotten a ticket before and I'm posting here in hopes of getting some advice on what to do.

The officer clearly saw my looking at my phone so I believe I am hopeless in fighting the ticket. I completely accept blame and I made sure to make the officers time spent ticketing me as easy as possible. I want to cause as little problems as possible for the law. What I really hope to achieve is a reduction in the fine, because $500 is A LOT to me right now as a student, and if possible a reduction in the demerit points. I have no idea if either of these things is possible as I have never had a ticket before. Also, is it possible for me to pay the fine in parts instead of all at once? This would ease the burden on me financially by a significant amount.

What should I do in this situation? I have no experience dealing with the law in this manner so any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading.

ynotp

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on

If you just want a fine reduction ask for an early resolution meeting.

Note: If you have a conviction on your record of any kind (even a reduced one) you may have substantial increases on the cost of your insurance policy when it renews. To be sure check with your insurer.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

You have the right to a trial and the right to view the officers notes.

You should plead NOT GUILTY and request a trial with the officer present. Once you get your notice of trial with a trial date, you can then request disclosure (officers notes). Once you get the notes, scan and post them here.

There is a very small chance that the officer will not show to the court date, and a very small chance that the officer spilt coffee on his notes, and in both these cases the ticket would be dropped so you have nothing to lose by asking for a trial.

Worst case is you show up for trial and so does officer and so you can just decide to plead guilty then. It wont cost you anymore, but there is small chance of getting it dropped at least.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
Post a Reply