daniel1234

155km In 100km Zone

by: daniel1234 on

Last night I was driving towards mississauga from north york to drop some friends home. I was not looking at my speedo and I was pulled over for doing 155 in a 100 zone. The cops suspended my license for 7 days and also impounded my car for 7 days. I was extremely polite with them and explained to them that I did not intend to speed and I honestly did not feel like I was doing 155km. Now before anyone else tells me, yes I do understand I should have been paying closer attention to my speedo but what is done is done now. The officer himself said there is a high chance that the ticket will be cut down to 49 over. I am 18 years old and want to know how much of an insurance increase I can expect if I do get the 49 over. I am going to attempt to explain my situation to the crown and try to plea bargain it down to 29km over but I understand that it is less likely than getting the 49 over. If anyone has any advice for me or knows how much of a insurance hike I can expect with the 49 over please let me know.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

It's entirely dependent on your insurance provider and your policy. MOST consider 1-49 over to be a minor offence, but some set have a lower threshold of up to 35 over. If it's just a minor offence, you're probably looking at a relatively moderately increase in the neighborhood of 10-15%. Again though, you'll need to verify with your provider.

daniel1234

by: daniel1234 on

@stanton I really hope thats the case. Im hoping the increase will be somewhere between 10-25% so my insurance is still affordable for me. Im also thinking of renewing my insurance early before my court date just to save myself for a year just in case it does not go as planned.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

Inusrance has three levels of convictions: MINOR, MAJOR and SERIOUS.

You would have to ask your insurance company whether speeding 49 over is minor or major.

49 over will usually be a Minor for some insurance companies and a Major for others. But 50+ and stunt driving are both Serious, so if you can get two Serious offences dropped in exchange for one guilty plea to a worst case Major, then you are probably going to want to do that.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

School. When you take regular minor offenses and add a school, bus, children, etc... it jumps to a major offense.

e.g.

- Disobey traffic sign (minor), disobey school crossing stop sign (major)

- Improper passing (minor), improper passing of school bus, improper passing in school zone (major)

Observer135

Posting Awards

by: Observer135 on

In your case, even if your ticket is dropped down to 49 over (which I have no doubt they will offer that in order for you to take a guilty plea) you still have that seven day suspension to deal with. That means your insurance is going to find out you were suspended and they do not like that, there is a large rate hike associated with it. The only way you can get a real sense of how much is by either getting a quote from them, or get a few online quotes yourself.

I have used online websites to get a feel of such rate hikes in the past and they are close enough.

Post a Reply