Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
nlee0927

Failure To Stop At Red Light At T-intersection

by: nlee0927 on

I was driving north on Yonge St in Aurora and making a right on Industrial Parkway which is a T-intersection. The light was red when I approached the intersection. There is no pedestrian crossing at this intersection. I slowed down to make my right onto Industrial Parkway when the cop sitting in the parking lot of the commerce of chambers caught me. He issued me the Red light - failure to stop 144(18).

I'm hoping to get my fine reduced and points waived. I'm thinking of opting for option 2 for early resolution. What are my chances of having my fine reduced to the disobey lane light 144(10) and how should I present my case to the prosecutor?

Thanks!

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

While a reduction in the charge may be possible, keep in mind it's not going to do much in the way of insurance. Any type of disobeying of a traffic light or sign is treated the same (unless it involves a school bus or school crossing guard).

That being said, if a reduction would satisfy your needs, go for it. Simply show up and they'll present you with something if there's some wiggle room. You wont need to do anything else.

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

points has nothing to do with insurance,

all they worry about if you have a conviction,

if you get convicted depending on if its a minor or major it could effect you insurance

"as" a rule of thumb 1 MINOR conviction usually has 0 effect on premiums,

i believe fail to stop is a minor

but the problem is the next one will then be your 2nd, so best NOT to get a first one ;)

nlee0927 wrote:I'm hoping I'd get the points dropped hence won't affect my insurance?
--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

Insurance companies do not care about demerit points. A zero demerit point charge can still affect your insurance and cause it to go up. Insurance lists your charges as Minor or Major or Serious, completely unrelated to demerits.

For example, speeding 1km/h to 15km/h over is 0 demerit points, but is considered a MINOR infraction by insurance.

Also speeding 16km/h to 30km/h over is 3 demerits, but still considered a MINOR infraction by insurance.

Insurance companies see no difference!!!

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
Post a Reply