Phone Meeting With Prosecutor Next Week! Please Help

Jay9

Phone Meeting With Prosecutor Next Week! Please Help

Unread post by Jay9 »

Okay, I was visiting a friend in Toronto (I live in Ottawa) and I was on my way back to the highway to continue my 6hr drive home. I was fully in the left hand turn lane at an intersection, driving slowly because the light was red, but i still wasn't close enough to the stopped cars to stop. Next thing I know, a grey car cuts in in front of me. She braked while right in front of me and the passenger side of my front bumper hit her drivers side/rear bumper. I didn't even feel anything that's how small the 'bump' was. the only damage to her car looked like a golf ball size bump. My car however had a hole in the bumper and the bumper had popped out on both sides. She immediately called 911 without being noticeably injured and when I asked if she was okay, she said yes. I gave her my insurance, licence and ownership and she only gave me her licence and ignored me when i asked for the other documents. She sees an ambulance and says "We should hurry up because theyre here for me" at which point i asked if she was injured again and she shrugged her shoulders and said "I could be". Firetruck, police cars, ambulance and a tow truck flooded the intersection (she refused to drive to a nearby parking lot to get out of the way). The officer then got her info for me that she wouldnt give me before. The firemen and officers were all very nice and helpful to me. They were surprised that she insisted to be taken to hospital by ambulance. The officer told me she was "milking it" and that he "couldn't imagine how she got a back injury from a tiny bump". Anyways, after that I chose #2 on the ticket because of how far away I am. I haven't hired a paralegal or anything because I am about to start college and i am on a tight budget. What info should I have ready? What will likely happen? what should i say? I honestly have no clue. I am a 19yo and I only have my G2. Help!! :(

UnluckyDuck

Posting Awards

Unread post by UnluckyDuck »

Usually what happens in these early resolution meetings is the prosecutor tells you what you were charge with, and then offer you a reduced charge if they want. You could probably get it reduced to Left Turn - Not in Safety which carries a fine of $110 and 2 points. If you agree to it, they'll explain how to pay it, if you try and challenge what they say, they'll immediately book you a trial which you would need to come back to Toronto (or whichever issuing City) for (unless you hire an attorney). Remember, an early resolution is not like a trial. They're not going to argue with you, or drop the charge. If you try that, they'll send you to trial.

Jay9

Unread post by Jay9 »

UnluckyDuck wrote:Usually what happens in these early resolution meetings is the prosecutor tells you what you were charge with, and then offer you a reduced charge if they want. You could probably get it reduced to Left Turn - Not in Safety which carries a fine of $110 and 2 points. If you agree to it, they'll explain how to pay it, if you try and challenge what they say, they'll immediately book you a trial which you would need to come back to Toronto (or whichever issuing City) for (unless you hire an attorney). Remember, an early resolution is not like a trial. They're not going to argue with you, or drop the charge. If you try that, they'll send you to trial.

Thank you! Do you think I should go to trial? what would the chances be of it getting dropped? My main concern is getting a charge that gets my licence taken away as I am only a G2. Should I suggest that charge? Or wait to see what he/she says. I am so nervous!

UnluckyDuck

Posting Awards

Unread post by UnluckyDuck »

First off, let me clarify the meaning "Early Resolution". A lot of people believe this is where you can walk in, and pray that the prosecutor drops the charge, no. I think the old title of this would be better, which was "GUILTY WITH AN EXPLINATION". It's HIGHLY unlikely that this will get dropped, but then again I got Stunt reduced to 15 Over roadside, so anything is possible.

Being a G2 driver means that with a Careless Charge you will be suspended for 30 days because of the Novice Driver Escalating Sanctions. Keeping that in mind, there most likely to drop it to a Left Turn - Not in Safety at the early resolution meeting. Like stated before, that's $110 and 2 points, so you still keep your license, just you have a conviction.

If you choose to go to trial, then I suggest to request disclosure and put it up here (blocking out all personal information) for interpretation. For the trial, the cop, plus witness must be present in order to secure a conviction. But don't bank on winning the case because of it, because if both show up, and the proper evidence is there, you will be charged.

Look through this forum at similar cases and do your research. If this is too much of a hassle for you, hire a Paralegal.