Sinjin

Aircraft Ticket Near Cornwall - Fight Or No Fight?

by: Sinjin on

So I was returning from my honeymoon in Montreal, and was cruising down the 401 just inside the Ontario/Quebec border. I was passing one of the Onroute stations and saw an OPP cruiser. I checked my speed and I was doing 120. A few kilometers up the road the cruiser pulled me over and told me I was clocked doing 132 by the aircraft. I was a little surprised to see the ticket was for the full 32 over (I was polite, had all my info readily available etc), but I'm wondering what my chances are of beating the ticket, or if I should even bother. I'm considering calling to see if there is any way of doing it over the phone (doubtful!). I understand both officers have to be available for court, but you would think they would arrange this with this kind of radar set up. I'm guessing the officer saw I lived 400km away, so they nailed me to the wall knowing it would be difficult for me to attend court (gas alone would cost almost as much as the ticket! Not to mention the day off of work!)

Thoughts?

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Sinjin wrote:but I'm wondering what my chances are of beating the ticket, or if I should even bother.

It doesn't sound like you have a defense going. Your chances of beating this ticket are just as good as anyone else who requests a trial for a ticket without a defense. Maybe you'll catch a break along the way, but there's no secret handshake that will make it go away. If you want to go down this path, request a trial, request disclosure, and go from there.

Some would argue every ticket is worth fighting over. If you're going to just plead guilty, at least try to get your ticket reduced.

Sinjin wrote:I'm considering calling to see if there is any way of doing it over the phone (doubtful!).

You can't have a trial over the phone.

Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

+1 to the above comment.

A vast majority of officers who are radar instructors or assigned to a traffic enforcement unit will either write the ticket at the reading displayed on the speed measuring device or not write the ticket. Reduction of a ticket is left to the prosecutor. This is the most fair and consistent way of dealing with speed enforcement.

Where someone lives, what they're driving and prior convictions don't come into play at the roadside.

xolunaxo

by: xolunaxo on

You had the same ticket as mine back to few years ago.

Same charge, same method used, same authority, same# of officer, same location.

If I can choose again, I will choose option 3 for the ticket without doubts.

I paid the ticket not because I committed to the violation, but my new job prevented me from taking a day off to visit the court.

Post a Reply