HazAnga

Warning For Careless, How Long On Record For?

by: HazAnga on

So i got a warning for careless. Was driving around with several friends, who yes most were driving a little more aggressive. I did see the officer at the light we were stopped at, I wasn't driving carelessly or aggressive at all anyway because i didn't want that attention.

I was pulled over anyway though because I "was weaving in and out of traffic". I literally changed lanes, signaled, did not speed up, and signaled to switch back into the lane i was initially in. I knew he was there, I'm not stupid and he was totally being a dick the whole time. He was maybe 100-200 feet behind me and even acknowledged that he saw me signal, but still tried to say i was weaving in and out of traffic.

#1 He got the model of my car wrong

#2 There is something at the bottom about a $20 administrative fee, does that mean i have to pay it? being a warning?

#3 Is it possible to fight to have this dumb warning tossed out

#4 How long does a warning like this stay on record for?

I feel i was wrongly accused and singled out because i was easier to pull over.

I know driving around with friends that are driving more aggressive is already a heat score but that's why i tend not to do so, I'm not an idiot.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

Where was this warning issued? I've never heard of a warning that came with any kind of fee attached to it. Could you scan it and post it here with your name and other info blacked out so that we can tell for sure what kind of document your were handed? If it is just a warning then there is no way to contest it, but it will not show up on your driving record either so your insurance company will never see it. The only place it will be on file is with the police department that issued it. I'm not sure how long they keep these things on file, it is possible that each department has its own policy regarding records retention.

HazAnga

After readiNg over it a few more times I don't think I have to pay any fee. And yes it won't effect my insurence, but will be on my driving record as far as my licence goes. So there is no warning for anything if for whatever reason I get pulled over again.

I can scan it tomorrow and put it up after work.

imo it's just dumb and don't even want it on any kind of record.

HazAnga

Decatur wrote:Your contact with local police is usually on their database for life.

Dafuk?! Really and no way of having it removed then?

Almost wishing it wasn't a warning. I would have easily been able to get out of an actual fine since he got the model of my car wrong and was totally BSing me the whole time.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

HazAnga wrote:I would have easily been able to get out of an actual fine since he got the model of my car wrong and was totally BSing me the whole time.

You'd be wrong. There's nothing about a wrong model that would make your case easily winnable. Also, when talking about HTA offenses, careless driving is up there as one of the worst.

Careless Driving is labeled as a serious offense by all insurance providers. It's possible to have your insurance dropped by your provider immediately. The penalty is $400-$2000, your license suspended up to 2 years, and up to 6 months in jail (although unlikely).

The officer did you a favor.

Also, I believe a charge will remain just as visible as a warning, conviction or not. I could be wrong, though. Maybe someone else can chime in.

OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

Yep the in house record would show you were charged regardless of the outcome in court.

The two are not connected. The in house record just details what was happening at the time of the stop and that is you were warned or charged. It never says your guilty as that is for you or the courts to decide.

As for the SSR that I bet is from the MTO records. The model of car is not always listed the same as the manufacture. I have no idea where or how the MTO comes up with their coding.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

The MTO does use a confusing three letter short form in place of the proper vehicle model names. Sometimes it makes sense and sometimes it seems entirely random. The code will also vary depending on whether you have the base model or high end version. I remember the base 4-cylinder Pontiac Grand Am had the code "SE1" whereas the V6 model was something like "GAG". Another good example is the Ford F150 which has the very odd model code of "COF".

Not that it matters, but you can easily check to see if the officer put the right code by looking at your ownership. It will list the make and model and the three letter code should match.

I'd personally like to the see the MTO use the full model name like other Provinces and States. Certainly help the police when they're trying to ID a vehicle.

Post a Reply