A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

orillia3

Can I Use A Bicycle Trailer As A Motorcycle Trailer?

by: orillia3 on

I will be getting a light duty bicycle utility box trailer to pull behind my bicycle, and would like to know if I could use the same trailer for my motor scooter.

First, I would need to add a red light and a licence plate light, and reflectors, and of course legally requires mudguards. So there are two main questions.

1. How difficult would it be to get a licence plate? I cannot find any regulations as to what a trailer should be. Do I declare is as home built as it might not have a serial number?

2. It will have the two methods, basically a bracket and pin, with a tether. However it does not have a hitch and ball, does it legally require a hitch and ball for a motorcycle, or would the bracket, pin and tether be legal?

I have searched MVSA and HTA and a motorcycle trailer in Ontario only needs a red light and licence plate at night, and mudguards, two methods of attachments.

I only want it to use behind my scooter around town for grocery shopping, laundry, taking stuff to the dump, etc., and a regular motorcycle trailer is expensive and too heavy for my lighter motorcycle. I see them in frequent use on full size motorcycles.

Any thoughts on the subject?

References: HTA Section 62.(19) and 62.(24),

Ontario Motor Cycle handbook (trailer) http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/handbo ... 20-5.shtml

HTA 103.(2) (this is for reflectors on a commercial trailer, but I would put them on anyway, even for my bicycle use)

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

Keep in mind most insurance providers ask whether you'll be using your motorcycle to tow a trailer. A lot of them will not insure you if you do choose to tow a trailer.

So you should review your policy, because in the event you need to make a claim or there is a claim against you; your insurance doesn't deny you coverage.

Post a Reply