Jaywalking Ticket-high Amount?

HunnyBunny

Jaywalking Ticket-high Amount?

Unread post by HunnyBunny »

My son (20) got a jaywalking ticket for $120.00

It was a very foggy night and he "jaywalked" pretty much right in front of the cop who almost hit him. Is this why the fine is so hefty?

Yes, he did the wrong thing and was an idiot for doing so. (but I love him :) )

daggx

Posting Awards

Unread post by daggx »

What exactly was your son charged with and what was the law and section number? The reason I ask is because all the jaywalking type offences in the Highway Traffic Act carry a set fine of $35.

HunnyBunny

daggx wrote:What exactly was your son charged with and what was the law and section number? The reason I ask is because all the jaywalking type offences in the Highway Traffic Act carry a set fine of $35.

Thanks for the reply.

-Pedestrian Disobeyed Don't Walk Sign--Contrary to the Highway Traffic Act Ontario Section 144(27)

Set fine of 100.00 Total payable: 120.00

highwaystar

Posting Awards

Unread post by highwaystar »

Daggx is correct. The set fine is wrong. For section 144(27) the set fine is $35.00 for a total payable of $50.00. As such, do not respond to the ticket and it should be dismissed by the JP as being a fatal error in your absence. If for some reason the JP misses that error and does not dismiss it, then simply appeal the decision and you will win on appeal.

HunnyBunny

highwaystar wrote:Daggx is correct. The set fine is wrong. For section 144(27) the set fine is $35.00 for a total payable of $50.00. As such, do not respond to the ticket and it should be dismissed by the JP as being a fatal error in your absence. If for some reason the JP misses that error and does not dismiss it, then simply appeal the decision and you will win on appeal.

Thank you so much for your info. I will pass it along. I really thought it was a bit too high just for "jaywalking"