Speeding Ticket But Officer Did Not Put Down A Fine Amount

A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
tom1331

Posting Awards

Speeding Ticket But Officer Did Not Put Down A Fine Amount

Unread post by tom1331 »

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to help out a buddy of mine, his father got a speeding ticket at Allen Road and Lawrence today.

Apparently the officer showed his father the radar gun with the speed of the vehicle, he was going 20km over the limit.

Everything went pretty much routine except when he looked over the ticket again at home

he noticed that the officer had forgotten to put down an amount payable for the fine.

Does this qualify as a fatal error?

I know on ticketcombat's website it says incorrect fines are NOT fatal errors, but this wasn't even an "incorrect fine"

It was just left blank, not even a pen mark in the box.

Would this be enough to get the ticket dismissed in court? or would the JP allow the officer to amend the ticket if it gets to trial?

OR is this one of those situations where you do nothing and hope that when the courts file the papers to send him a letter of impending conviction that they'll

see the ticket wasn't properly written by the officer and they'll throw it out?

Any help would be appreciated,

Tom

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

That type of error should result in your ticket just being thrown out. Do a search on the forum for London v Young and the default/appeal process. If the JP fails to notice the error and convicts you, you'll have to do a little more work, but it should still get tossed. You do NOT want to go to trial for this type of error.

Radar Identified

Unread post by Radar Identified »

Yep, I agree with Stanton.

Two words: FATAL ERROR.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca