A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Mobility

Ontario Car/driver, Kentucky Speeding Ticket

by: Mobility on

I got a 173.00 ticket (30.00 fine, 143.00 court fee!) on the interstate in Kentucky. I can't find any info on what the reciprocal agreements may be between Kentucky and Ontario and the consequences in either if I don't pay. I also wonder if once the due date has passed, will I be hassled at the border next time I cross.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

BelSlySTi

by: BelSlySTi on

Pay It!

States with reciprocal suspension agreements for failure to pay:

1. Alabama

2. Arizona

3. Arkansas

4. Colorado

5. Connecticut

6. Delaware

7. Idaho

8. Illinois

9. Indiana

10. Iowa

11. Kansas

12. Kentucky

13. Louisiana

14. Maryland

15. Michigan

16. Minnesota

17. Mississippi

18. Missouri

19. Montana

20. Nebraska

21. New Hampshire

22. New Jersey

23. New Mexico

24. New York

25. North Carolina

26. North Dakota

27. Ohio

28. Oklahoma

29. Oregon

30. Pennsylvania

31. Rhode Island

32. South Carolina

33. Tennessee

34. Texas

35. Utah

36. Virginia

37. Washington

38. West Virginia

39. Wisconsin

40. Wyoming

41. District of Columbia

[img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l352/toastedwhitebread/Untitled-TrueColor-03.jpg[/img]
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Bel's 100% right here, for two reasons. He already mentioned the reciprocity, but your Ontario driving record will not be affected by the Kentucky ticket. So if you just pay the fine here, you won't get demerit points, and it never shows up on your driver abstract. If you don't pay it, Kentucky will notify Ontario and they'll suspend your licence... as Bel said. Only tickets from New York, Michigan and other Canadian provinces/territories will show up on your Ontario driver abstract.

Fighting the ticket would probably involve a lot of headaches, travelling, etc. If you pay it, it basically goes away.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Radar Identified wrote: Only tickets from New York, Michigan and other Canadian provinces/territories will show up on your Ontario driver abstract. .

Guess I learned something new today....I have seen all the others mentioned on a DL history.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

hwybear wrote:I have seen all the others mentioned on a DL history.

Really? I was under the impression that of the US states, only NY and Michigan reported the infraction to Ontario unless the driver didn't pay the ticket, because of this:

Demerit points for Out-of-Province Convictions

Drivers convicted of a driving related offence in the State of New York, the State of Michigan or any Canadian province or territory, will have home jurisdictional penalties such as demerit points and/or suspensions applied to their Ontario driver record as if the offence occurred in Ontario.

That came from the MTO website.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... erit.shtml

I knew about the reciprocity for non-payment with the other states but didn't think they bothered reporting it to Ontario if they got their money. Funny that they'd only apply demerit points if the offence occurred in NY or Michigan but would still slap the offence on the driver abstract if it occurred in the other states... why not also apply points?

BelSlySTi

by: BelSlySTi on

I am very surprised not to see Florida on that list!

[img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l352/toastedwhitebread/Untitled-TrueColor-03.jpg[/img]
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Radar Identified wrote:
hwybear wrote:I have seen all the others mentioned on a DL history.

Really? I was under the impression that of the US states, only NY and Michigan reported the infraction to Ontario unless the driver didn't pay the ticket, because of this:.

Sorry, that was poor wording on my part.....I have seen NY, Michigan and all C'dn provinces on a DL history...nothing else

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Mobility

by: Mobility on

yes, thanks for that. I too am surprised that Florida isn't on there. Neither is Vermont which I would think would be.

Thanks again!

Post a Reply