A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

ontariodriver12

Parking Ticket After Having Moved Car

by: ontariodriver12 on

Hello everyone,

Hoping someone can help with this. My date to fight my ticket is at the end of January.

The story:

After having my car marked (and having been parked for almost 3 hours) I moved my car to another location.

Upon return, I noticed that I had received a ticket. The ticket is parking in excess of 3 hours. The mark on my tire seemed to have faded but was still somewhat visible.

When I went to speak with someone about the ticket I was told that the notes indicated this as well (somewhat visible mark on my tire).

Unfortunately, they were only able to reduce the ticket by half unless I went to court. I chose to go to court since I had in fact moved my car and find this to be unfair.

I'm wondering what I can expect when going to fight this ticket as well as any suggestions anyone may have.

Thank you.

highwaystar

Posting Awards

by: highwaystar on

Make sure you properly review Ottawa's parking by-laws. For instance, you can't street park within 300 meters of the same street park location you were at within the previous hour. This rule is in place so as to avoid people simply moving their car and coming right back to the same locale.

Here's an extract of some of the relevant parking rules in Ottawa.
ontariodriver12

by: ontariodriver12 on

Thank you.

I guess what I am looking for advice on is the following:

1) What can I expect when going to court? - what is the procedure, what types of questions I might be asked, etc.

2) Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, what happened to the ticket?

I suspect the case is that there was still some residue from chalking my car earlier that day. I did move my car, the appropriate 300 m distance - it's just that the chalk did not fully come off my tire.

Thank you for any insight anyone can give me as to what I can expect when going to court.

Post a Reply