Improper left turn - Fight the traffic ticket
snjpr

Proceed Contrary To Sign At Intersection Sec 144 (9)

by: snjpr on

Hi,

I got this ticket PROCEED CONTRARY TO SIGN AT INTERSECTION Sec 144 (9), there was a street car in front of me and i couldn't see the sign which said no left turn btwn 7:00am and 6:00pm, there was no vehicle coming from the opposite side so I signaled and turned left.

The traffic officer caught me right away and gave this ticket, don't know what to do PLEASE help

1) should i just pay it off and forget

2) should i fight?

3) do I get a demerit points if I pay off the ticket

4) Where do i know if there are any demerit points associated with it?

Please help, since this is my first ticket I have no clue, i have been driving for past 10 years.

ynotp

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on

1 & 2) Personally I think you should fight every ticket. Worst case scenario you are convicted which is the same as pleading guilty. Best case scenario you get off for any number of reasons. Either way you will have to invest time and effort that you will never get back. Do some research in the forum to learn a bit.

3) Yes if you roll over and plead guilty there will be demerit points. If you contest the charge you are certain to be offered a reduced charge in exchange for pleading guilty. Keep in mind that reducing the charge is more of a smoke and mirrors trick for the prosecutor where they waive points but your record will still have a conviction on it that your insurance company can see and use as a justification for increasing your rates.

4) Without looking it up I believe its either 2 or 3 demerit points.

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

Demerit Points Table: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/e ... 0339_e.htm

HTA S144 (9) carries two demerit points.

If the offence was allegedly carried out in an intersection... then the crown has numerous zero point charges they can amend to; a popular one is S144 (12).

As stated above, you have nothing to lose by fighting the ticket. But for a lot of people, the insurance consequences of getting even one minor conviction is quite severe; the increased premiums over the next three years could pay for a paralegel two or three times over.

snjpr

Thanks for your responses.

I didn't understand the point "then the crown has numerous zero point charges they can amend to; a popular one is S144 (12)" meaning the Judge can put more charges on me and it can raise my points and charges?

So which option should I Select Option(2) or Option(3) from the Ticket, option 2 says - Early Resolution - Meet with Prosecutor and Option 3 says Trial option.

I am really worried now please help.

snjpr

but trial option would be lenthy and expensive right with a lawyer etc.

I was thinking of Option 2 and tell them that I didn't know there was a sign of no left turn during certain hours and also to top it I had a street car in front of me , so it was a honest mistake, wont they just remove my points and give some fine?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Selecting the trial option does not mean you actually have to proceed with a trial. You can plead guilty at any time, right up until your trial is underway. You also don't require legal representation.

snjpr wrote:

I didn't understand the point "then the crown has numerous zero point charges they can amend to; a popular one is S144 (12)" meaning the Judge can put more charges on me and it can raise my points and charges?

The Justice of the Peace cannot lay additional charges against you. All that's referring to is the Crown can offer to let you plead guilty to a similar offence, but with less severe consequences (i.e. reduced demerit points and/or fine).

If you prefer you can try the early resolution route. See what they offer you and if you don't like it go to trial. You'll also typically be offered a plea deal on the day of your trial, since the Court usually has more trials booked then available time.

Post a Reply