A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

UnluckyDuck

Posting Awards

Red-ish Parking Light

by: UnluckyDuck on

So I bought parking lights for the front of my car since the old ones were blown. They are amber according to the package, but show up more reddish. My question is, even though the lights are not flashing like a cop, can I be charged?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Technically yes, it is an offence to have any red light shine (not just flash) at the front of a vehicle. Section 62(15) of the HTA deals with the subject:

Red and blue lights to the front restricted

(15) In addition to the lighting requirements in this Part, a vehicle described in subsection (15.1) may carry lamps that cast a red light only or such other colour of light that may, with the approval of the ministry, be designated by a by-law of the municipality in which the vehicle is operated, but no other motor vehicle shall carry any lamp that casts a red light to the front.

(15.1) The following are vehicles to which subsection (15) applies:

1. An ambulance, fire department vehicle, police department vehicle, public utility emergency vehicle or school bus.

2. A ministry vehicle operated by an officer appointed for carrying out the provisions of this Act or the Public Vehicles Act, while the officer is in the course of his or her employment.

3. A vehicle while operated by a conservation officer, fishery officer, provincial park officer or mine rescue training officer, while the officer is in the course of his or her employment.

4. A vehicle while operated by a provincial officer designated under the Environmental Protection Act, the Nutrient Management Act, 2002, the Ontario Water Resources Act, the Pesticides Act, the Safe Drinking Water Act, 2002 or the Toxics Reduction Act, 2009, while the officer is in the course of his or her employment.

5. A prescribed class or type of vehicle, driven by a prescribed class of persons or engaged in a prescribed activity or in prescribed conditions or circumstances.

OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

I look at stuff like this.

I you have to ask about this kind of question "why not just return them and get true amber ones?" Then you will not havee to wonder about this. Plus if you think they are red and a problem you are not the only one thinking the same thing.

OPS

UnluckyDuck

Posting Awards

by: UnluckyDuck on

So, Update here. I did not drive on the roads because I was worried about this, and after I read the first comment, I took out those bulbs, and replaced them with white bulbs. I know its supposed to be amber, but to be on the safe side, they can't charge me for white lights.

@OPS, The packaging was the exact bulb for my car, according to the Walmart guide, and that is where I purchased them. I don't know if it was a defect or what, but they shine with a reddish tone on it, that is why I was worried. I purchased the white ones from Pacific Mall for like $5.

Post a Reply