nbm111

Got Speeding Ticket On 400 Hwy

by: nbm111 on

Hey my first post..

i was driving on 400 at 135 kmph on 90 kmph ... i know its way over but i was getting really late.. so i know its stupid thing to do but road was empty ...

it was my dads car and my name is not in the insurance. whats the best thing to do here? please advice me. pay $350 or fight it?

first ticket what should i do? i just turn 20

also will this effect my dad insurance? if its mine its fine..

Thank you

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

IMO you should always choose the trial option. Get your notice of trial, and request disclosure: officer's notes & copy of speed measuring device's manual. After you review the officer's notes you can then decide whether you're going to fight it or cut a deal with the prosecutor at your trial date. Trial option also gives you an 'officer no-show' opportunity.

+45km/h carries four demerit points and it will most likely get plea-bargained down to the next demerit point bracket (+16 to 29km/h). This means the fine might be between $55 and $138.75 if it's knocked down to the 3 demerit point bracket.

If your name is not on the vehicle's insurance policy, there will no increase on your father's insurance once you're convicted.

hawaii

by: hawaii on

iFly55 wrote:IMO you should always choose the trial option. Get your notice of trial, and request disclosure: officer's notes & copy of speed measuring device's manual. After you review the officer's notes you can then decide whether you're going to fight it or cut a deal with the prosecutor at your trial date. Trial option also gives you an 'officer no-show' opportunity.

+45km/h carries four demerit points and it will most likely get plea-bargained down to the next demerit point bracket (+16 to 29km/h). This means the fine might be between $55 and $138.75 if it's knocked down to the 3 demerit point bracket.

If your name is not on the vehicle's insurance policy, there will no increase on your father's insurance once you're convicted.

This is not true for all insurance companies, check his policy.

nbm111

by: nbm111 on

iFly55 wrote:IMO you should always choose the trial option. Get your notice of trial, and request disclosure: officer's notes & copy of speed measuring device's manual. After you review the officer's notes you can then decide whether you're going to fight it or cut a deal with the prosecutor at your trial date. Trial option also gives you an 'officer no-show' opportunity.

hey when i chose trial option i send it to the address they give me right? how do i ask for evidence ?

iFly55

Posting Awards

hawaii wrote:This is not true for all insurance companies, check his policy.
How will a driver who's not listed on the policy affect its premiums?
nbm111 wrote:hey when i chose trial option i send it to the address they give me right? how do i ask for evidence ?
Follow the instructions on the back of the ticket, you may have to appear in person to request a trial.

Normally to request disclosure/evidence, the prosecutor's office wants the trial date on your request form. So you need to wait until the courts mail you a 'Notice of Trial' with your trial date. Once you get this date, you can request for disclosure.

Sample disclosure form: http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic2959.html

hawaii

by: hawaii on

iFly55 wrote:
hawaii wrote:This is not true for all insurance companies, check his policy.
How will a driver who's not listed on the policy affect its premiums?
nbm111 wrote:hey when i chose trial option i send it to the address they give me right? how do i ask for evidence ?
Follow the instructions on the back of the ticket, you may have to appear in person to request a trial.

Normally to request disclosure/evidence, the prosecutor's office wants the trial date on your request form. So you need to wait until the courts mail you a 'Notice of Trial' with your trial date. Once you get this date, you can request for disclosure.

Sample disclosure form: http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic2959.html

You can Google the consequences of other people driving your car, and what you are on the hook for.... some interesting reading.

iFly55

Posting Awards

hawaii wrote:You can Google the consequences of other people driving your car, and what you are on the hook for.... some interesting reading.
I agree if there was an insurance claim for an at-fault accident. But getting a speeding ticket in someone else's car, will not affect that vehicle owner's annual insurance premium.

Post a Reply