A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
mountain

Introduction And Question

by: mountain on

Offense Date: November 22, 2013

Trial Date: July 9, 2014

Hello All. This is my first time posting on a forum and so I apologize, in advance, for any etiquette violations I may make! I did read the intro post and FAQ and so . . .

I need some advice please. I passed a speed sign with an 80 and an arrow ahead. This was strange for me, since I was only used to seeing speed signs with arrows ahead in situations where the speed was soon to be reduced and you need to start to slow down now. In this case, I was in a 60 zone and saw this sign and so started to speed up and I was pulled over between this 80 km with an arrow sign and the full 80 km sign (actually I was pulled over at the 80km sign). I was going 83km. It seems to me that a speed sign with an arrow indicates a transition zone between one speed and another and that is why I began to accelerate. What other purpose could there be for a sign indicating a higher speed ahead?

Am I wrong. What advice can you give me for my trial?

ynotp

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on

The sign you saw is a regulatory sign that means "speed changes ahead". The new speed applies when at the point that you see a sign that says "BEGINS" or when the default speed limit (absence of any visible signs in a certain distance) applies. Unless things have changed recently there is no transition zone. When the sign indicates that limit decreases ahead it is telling you adjust your driving by taking your foot off the gas so you slow down to the new limit without needing to brake. I can see how you might be confused because if the sign is indicating an increase ahead then you would think that you are mandated to start driving faster, but it really means that you shouldn't drive any slower than the current limit because the limit increases soon. Unfortunately for you, even if the court were to accept the argument you were still speeding by 3 kph and will be found guilty.

Post a Reply