A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

bobajob

Posting Awards

Dash Cams / Evidence Etc

by: bobajob on

Couple of questions on dashcam usage

I'm looking at getting a 2 / 3 channel dashcam, to get front back and and possibly inside.

inside, to protect me incase someone says I was handling my phone, and or to catch my speedo/GPS (which shows my speed)

So...

1> Would my dash cam video be acceptable in court, say to proove I was NOT speeding, if it caputured my speedo?

2> Could a cop, confiscate my dashcam, if say, I was using it as evidence to protect myself, in case of a stop, you knoe run me a line saying its evidence,

3> Anyone got any good DC's they can recommend?

Thankxs All

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

1) Yes, video captured by the device could be used as evidence in Court. Im not sure however if would be very beneficial for speeding offences. The main issue is that the accuracy of your speedometer/GPS is unknown, whereas the Courts recognize and trust laser, radar, etc. It would still be very beneficial for most other offences however.

2) Yes, police could possibly seize the device if they believed there was evidence on it. More so if they believed it was likely you would delete or destroy the evidence. I would argue however that in most cases a warrant would still be required to examine the device after seizure (i.e. review and copy the video).

3) Sorry, cant help with that, but Id love to hear suggestions as well. Main problems I typically see are poor resolution (i.e. can't read plates) and poor quality at night. I'd also like something that can be cleanly installed so I don't have wires all over the place.

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

1> lasar and radar is very dependant on the operator and if the device was calibrated. as for the car you could have it calibrated on a dyno to confirm its acuracy.. I do get your point on what the courts do trust. how do I know if I'm speeding then? if my speedo's out, I wouldnt never know. Mind you in the real world speedo's are not out (on OEM rims) GPS is not wrong, although there is a short lag, but not that I think is noticable.

2> I'm thinking not that I'll destroy evidence, lets say :shock: I feel I'm getting stitched up and I say I have evidence to proove that I wasnt doing xyz, .. in order he dont write me a tciket? :wink:

3> I've seen a few devices, that are quite small and in obtrusive, bluetooth wireless might be nice; but I think it would need to be wired, for power anyway and quality?

Kinda like at least having a edge on "my word against yours" kinda thing

thanks Stanton appreciated your FB

Stanton wrote:1) Yes, video captured by the device could be used as evidence in Court. Im not sure however if would be very beneficial for speeding offences. The main issue is that the accuracy of your speedometer/GPS is unknown, whereas the Courts recognize and trust laser, radar, etc. It would still be very beneficial for most other offences however.

2) Yes, police could possibly seize the device if they believed there was evidence on it. More so if they believed it was likely you would delete or destroy the evidence. I would argue however that in most cases a warrant would still be required to examine the device after seizure (i.e. review and copy the video).

3) Sorry, cant help with that, but Id love to hear suggestions as well. Main problems I typically see are poor resolution (i.e. can't read plates) and poor quality at night. I'd also like something that can be cleanly installed so I don't have wires all over the place.

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
Post a Reply