A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

soconfused

G2 W/ Bac Above 0...this Is A Nightmare

by: soconfused on

Short version: Got pulled over early friday morning for 'improper rear lights'. The officer walked over, said,"i smell alcohol." She asked me to give a breathalyzer and I blew a 0.019. I'd had 1 glass of wine with dinner about 5 hours ago. Since I have a G2, the 0.019 is illegal

10 minutes later I had 2 $110 tickets (1 for BAC, 1 for the rear lights). She gave back my license and called a tow for my car.

She also said, "you may get a letter of 30-day suspension from the ministry in the mail".

This is my issue: I cannot afford the 30 day suspension. I am a sales rep on the road and a 30-day suspension means I will be fired.

My question is.

- If I go and pay up, what are the chances I will get the suspension?

- If the suspension is guaranteed on paying the fine (option 1), can I get an Early resolution meeting and plead for a monetary fine only? or a 3 day suspension?

I've spent the last 36 hours reading everything and pulling my hair out. I've run out of hair to pull out.

Help!

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

The Courts have no control over the suspension, it's automatically applied by the MTO if you're convicted. The only way you can avoid the suspension is to either be found not guilty or work out a plea deal with the Crown to a different offence.

I'd start by requesting an early resolution meeting with the Crown and seeing if they can offer you any deal. If not you may want to proceed to trial since you don't really have anything to lose by fighting it.

soconfused

Stanton wrote:The Courts have no control over the suspension, it's automatically applied by the MTO if you're convicted. The only way you can avoid the suspension is to either be found not guilty or work out a plea deal with the Crown to a different offence.

I'd start by requesting an early resolution meeting with the Crown and seeing if they can offer you any deal. If not you may want to proceed to trial since you don't really have anything to lose by fighting it.

Thanks! that's what I figured. Wonder why the officer said I 'may' get a 30 day suspension is it is the law

soconfused

Stanton wrote:The Courts have no control over the suspension, it's automatically applied by the MTO if you're convicted. The only way you can avoid the suspension is to either be found not guilty or work out a plea deal with the Crown to a different offence.

Also, any idea on how far out the early resolution meetings are from the date you file the request?

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

soconfused wrote:- If I go and pay up, what are the chances I will get the suspension?

umm 100% ? If you pay the fine, you're admitting guilt. It's not going to slip in between some imaginary cracks.

soconfused wrote:- If the suspension is guaranteed on paying the fine (option 1), can I get an Early resolution meeting and plead for a monetary fine only? or a 3 day suspension?

No. Either you'll be guilty of BAC above zero and a 30 day suspension, you'll receive a plea deal for a lessor charge, or you'll be found not guilty. There's no in between. Novice drivers with alcohol in their system isn't something they play around with. I wouldn't count on them bargaining with you. Prosecutor isn't not going to be able to offer you a made up penalty, they can only reduce the charge. Penalty is automatically set by the MTO once your conviction is registered. They can't make your 30 days disappear. It's automatically set once it's out of their hands.

soconfused wrote:Thanks! that's what I figured. Wonder why the officer said I 'may' get a 30 day suspension is it is the law

You've only been charged. A 30 day suspension will come after you are convicted in court or when you mail in your guilty plea. Officer is only there to enforce the law, not to convict you.

soconfused wrote:Also, any idea on how far out the early resolution meetings are from the date you file the request?

Time will vary courthouse to courthouse.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

And 1 glass of wine, a true legit size would be gone within one hour after the final sip, Not the 5 clear hours you advised us and 0.019 is also higher than one typical glass of wine

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
viper1

by: viper1 on

hwybear wrote:And 1 glass of wine, a true legit size would be gone within one hour after the final sip, Not the 5 clear hours you advised us and 0.019 is also higher than one typical glass of wine

I was under the impression "that the roadside machine" only gave an indication of alcohol present I did not know that it could give

an exact #.

That said:

If the original post was true (.019)

Would he have reached .00 if he elected to get a second reading at the station?

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

viper1 wrote:I was under the impression "that the roadside machine" only gave an indication of alcohol present I did not know that it could give

an exact #.

The screening device used by police is capable of displaying exact readings, but will display a letter code for people over the legal limit.

For a BAC between 0 and 0.049, it will display an exact reading.

For a BAC between 0.050 and 0.099 it will display an "A". This will result in a roadside suspension. Note that the legal limit is actually 0.08, so some drivers might actually be over the limit but get off with just a suspension.

For a BAC of 0.100 or more it will display an "F". This will result in the driver's arrest for over 80.

The device can also be put into calibration mode, where it will always display a full digital reading instead of a letter code, but that's strictly for calibration testing.

As for your second question, very hard to say how quickly the OP's body would process the alcohol since it depends on gender, weight, build, metabolism, etc. Probably take at least a good hour or more. Keep in mind though, the officer can use a different roadside device for a retest if requested. They don't need to take the person to the station for a full test.

OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

The number used on the course is 15-20 mg/100ml alcohol elimination rate.

I forgot where it comes from but the second test does not have to take place at the station. It can be with a second roadside device. So the answer is maybe depending on where the nearest instrument is.

OPS

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

It falls under section 48 of the HTA.

Screening device, instrument used for second analysis

(6.1) The second analysis must be performed with a different approved screening device than was used in the analysis under subsection (2) or, if the police officer thinks it is preferable, with an instrument approved as suitable for the purpose of section 254 of the Criminal Code (Canada). 2009, c. 5, s. 15 (8).

viper1

Stanton wrote:It falls under section 48 of the HTA.

Screening device, instrument used for second analysis

(6.1) The second analysis must be performed with a different approved screening device than was used in the analysis under subsection (2) or, if the police officer thinks it is preferable, with an instrument approved as suitable for the purpose of section 254 of the Criminal Code (Canada). 2009, c. 5, s. 15 (8).

You cleared a couple of things up. Thank you.

Is a BAC over .00 a criminal charge?

I don't think that a second "roadside screening device" would hold up in a criminal court.

It is a provincial offense maybe?

Cheers

Viper1

use at your own risk"
viper1

OPS Copper wrote:The number used on the course is 15-20 mg/100ml alcohol elimination rate.

I forgot where it comes from but the second test does not have to take place at the station. It can be with a second roadside device. So the answer is maybe depending on where the nearest instrument is.

OPS

Not sure how old you are but they used to put out a scale chart from OPP. About 25 years ago.

.015 was what they said is expelled per hour.

Cheers

Viper1

use at your own risk"
Post a Reply