A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

devin98

Two Tickets Need Advice

by: devin98 on

ok so after 15 years of driving without a ticket I get two in a two month span.

One for 80 in a 50 zone full 30 over ticket.

One for 75 in a 60 zone reduced from 95 in a 60.

I am planning on paying the 15 over ticket and taking an early resolution meeting on the 30 over ticket.

I know I only have a week to pay the second ticket but I don't want it to show up on the record for the early resolution so I was thinking of asking for a trial to delay the conviction to keep it off the record and having better luck with the 30 over tickets.

Any advice? is this a good plan?

Thanks!

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

It's in your best interest to see the crown's disclosure (officer's notes & speed-measuring device manual) prior to entering a plea of guilt. I would file both tickets for trial, and wait for a 'Notice of Trial'. Once you get a trial date, request for disclosure. See if there's any issues with the officer's notes and you can go from there.

If you choose trial on the 75/60 ticket, you can still pay the reduced fine right up to your trial date. Even if you fail to show on your trial date, the courts will convict you for the reduced speed and not the original.

By requesting a trial date you also have the 'officer no-show' card to play as well.

Did you check to make sure the fines on the tickets were correct? and there were no fatal errors? http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic1965.html

Ontario Prosecutors in busy jurisdictions don't care whether you have a clean record or have a few minor tickets. They will plea-bargain with all walks of life in order to avoid a trial. You'll most likely get an offer of +15 for your +30 ticket.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

devin98 wrote:I know I only have a week to pay the second ticket but I don't want it to show up on the record for the early resolution so I was thinking of asking for a trial to delay the conviction to keep it off the record and having better luck with the 30 over tickets.

As already pointed out, having another speeding ticket isn't going to make or break any offer you may receive. If your sole purpose is to go to trial to avoid the other ticket being on your abstract when you make a deal, it's not really going to matter. They aren't going to deny you a deal simply because you have another minor speeding ticket. They'll be happy just to see you leave with a guilty plea.

devin98

Would they not offer a better deal if there is no tickets on my record period? or does this really make no difference at all? The prosecutor mentioned they would review my driving record to help make a decision.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

devin98 wrote:Would they not offer a better deal if there is no tickets on my record period? or does this really make no difference at all? The prosecutor mentioned they would review my driving record to help make a decision.

The offer isn't going to get any better than 15km and no points. They'll ask you about your record just to make sure you're not a moron who wont learn their lesson. If you read these boards long enough, you'll find those people. You're a lightweight. Another 15km ticket on your abstract usually isn't going to make them want to send some kind of message.

It doesn't hurt to request a trial either. Maybe you'll learn a thing or two and get lucky along the way. You'll be offered a deal at your trial either way, so it's up to you.

Points aren't all that important anyways. They only matter to novice drivers and people who deserve to be suspended. They only last 2 years from the date you were charged. If you request a trial, they wont show up on your abstract but the clock will still be ticking on them. Insurance doesn't use or care about points. They are overrated.

devin98

Thanks for the advice! I will see what kind of offer they extend I don't mind 15km over and no points (I know points don't matter in my case) but the difference between a 30km/h ticket (major) and a 15km/h ticket seems to be a lot.

I would opt for the full blown trial but the courthouse is 2 hours away and is a bit of a pain.

Post a Reply