Opp Cruiser Rear-ended, Minor Injuries Sustained By 2 Leos.

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Opp Cruiser Rear-ended, Minor Injuries Sustained By 2 Leos.

Unread post by racer »

Got this from Guelph Mercury. Responding to a crash on intersection of Wellington Road 7 and Wellington Road 51, about 10 minutes drive from Guelph's north end, an OPP cruiser was rear-ended. Both officers sustained minor injuries, and the cruiser $5000 in damages. 43 year old man charged with "Careless Driving".

Source: The Guelph Mercury http://news.guelphmercury.com/article/419717

There is not a lot of info in the article, but it seems that they were responding to a one vehicle crash. Meaning that the road conditions were bad enough to begin with. I do not think that "Careless Driving" is applicable, because the officers knew that the road conditions were bad enough, and probably failed to take the necessary precautions while slowing down. I think that the carge should have been "Follow too closely", but this is likely what the guy will get in a plea bargain.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

Sounds like a "rubber neck" situation as the driver would have seen the transport in the ditch and was not paying attention and whacks the cruiser.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Radar Identified

Unread post by Radar Identified »

I don't think the article has enough info. Following too closely, definitely. Careless driving... maybe, article didn't say if their lights were activated or not, if they were careless might be appropriate.

Then again... transport truck in ditch, police cruiser ahead (lights or not), if the driver was paying attention he should've noticed the situation and realized that the most logical action of the cop car would be to slow down and stop.

Speaking of winter conditions, it seems that with every major snowstorm there's multiple pileups in Ontario but you almost never hear of any happening in Quebec. And it's not just this winter with Quebec's mandatory "winter tire" law...

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Unread post by racer »

Radar Identified wrote:Speaking of winter conditions, it seems that with every major snowstorm there's multiple pileups in Ontario but you almost never hear of any happening in Quebec. And it's not just this winter with Quebec's mandatory "winter tire" law...

Perhaps the graduated system is at fault here? I don't know how they pass some people lol.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com