mandieleeann

Rear End - Careless Driving.

by: mandieleeann on

Hi everyone. I have been reading quite a lot on here since my accident and hope some of you can help me.

I was driving down Hespeler Rd in Cambridge at around 9pm coming to a stop at the intersection when my 5 year old son screamed in the backseat. (turns out he had bitten his tongue while eating an apple) I glanced back for a second and when I turned around the car in front of me was about 2-3 feet away. I slammed on the brakes and hit him denting his bumper and hitting his trailer hitch. I was only going about 20km (even the ticket says this) and was not expecting everyone to stop so suddenly as the light was yellow before he screamed. That is my fault completely and I learned I should NEVER assume anything while driving. (or in life really lol) I did not have my foot on the gas or anything and was coming to a stop but rolling at about 20 prepared to stop once the first and maybe second car went through the yellow. When he screamed horribly. I am almost 26 and have my full G and have never been in any accident or had any tickets what so ever. I realize I was probably to close, and should not have looked back at my son. It was all just so fast and I really can't believe I did something so stupid. I have consulted with xpolice and they noticed the date on my ticket was wrong, and suggested we try and get it dropped. To be honest I don't feel right about that as it truly was my misjudgment that caused the accident. I am just hoping to reduce it from careless and possibly lessen the fine. The officer recommended this, and said he had to charge me with careless, but said he didn't want to. Anyone have experience with early resolution? Any advice? Thanks guys :)

MegaSilver

by: MegaSilver on

mandieleeann wrote:I have consulted with xpolice and they noticed the date on my ticket was wrong, and suggested we try and get it dropped. To be honest I don't feel right about that as it truly was my misjudgment that caused the accident. I am just hoping to reduce it from careless and possibly lessen the fine. The officer recommended this, and said he had to charge me with careless, but said he didn't want to. Anyone have experience with early resolution? Any advice? Thanks guys :)

How wrong is the date? The officer has 7 days to submit the ticket. If the date is earlier than that, you may be in luck. Otherwise, a wrong date is not a fatal error.

As for a lerrer charge, you will generally be offered a lesser chanrge at early resolution. What is the total estimated damage to both vehicles? If it's low enough, you may get more sympathy to lower the charge.

mandieleeann

by: mandieleeann on

The date of occurrence is Thursday Dec. 5th, but he put Thursday Dec. 6th which doesn't exist. Also the damage to the other vehicle was a dented bumper which would need to be replaced. My car (a 2001 mazda protege) had more damage as I hit his trailer hitch (leaking fluid, plate cracked etc.) How can I tell if the officer submitted the ticket?

Post a Reply