Highway Traffic Act section 139.1
cbatky

Yield Right Of Way Scenario (with A Visual!)

by: cbatky on

If you can't view the picture, I'll try to explain. If I am waiting to turn left at a green light (left signal is off), and there is an oncoming vehicle that is turning right but has a yield sign, who has right of way? Me turning left, or the car turning right at the yield sign?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Its hard to tell for certain from the picture, but it looks like the red car would have to yield. Once you've made your left turn, you'd already be on the highway/onramp. The red car appears to be merging onto the same road further down, and therefor would have to yield to traffic already on the highway.

highwaystar

Posting Awards

by: highwaystar on

As Stanton states, the car making the right (i.e. the red car) must yield to the car already on the street (i.e. the car that just made the left turn on to the street). This is further corroborated by the fact that the YIELD sign is for the red car; not the one having just turned left.

Just know that while the car turning left MUST ensure their turn is done in safety, once they clear the intersection they are now in right of way on the 'new' street. It is the car still turning right on to the 'new' street (i.e. the red car) that must yield to the traffic having the right of way (i.e. the traffic coming off the left turn). The only thing that MIGHT change the situation is if there was a island where both vehicles were entering the road at the same time. But that is not the case here.

Post a Reply