Got 2 Tickets

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

harry22g_s

Got 2 Tickets

Unread post by harry22g_s »

Hi

this is my first post on this fourm ... yesterday i got 2 tickets from a cop in brampton ontario.... 1st one is Driving hand communication device and other one is improper Breaking system,,,,,, i just hold my cell phone in my hand nt was close to my ear,,,,,,,what can i do,,,, plz advice...

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

harry22g_s wrote: i just hold my cell phone in my hand nt was close to my ear

78.1 (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a hand-held wireless communication device or other prescribed device that is capable of receiving or transmitting telephone communications, electronic data, mail or text messages. 2009, c. 4, s. 2.

It doesn't matter that it wasn't to your ear. You don't need to hold your phone up to your ear to text message, check your email, go on the internet, or do whatever you do. Using your phone as an audio device is also prohibited if the basic controls can't function without using the normal buttons on your vehicle.

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

harry22g_s wrote:thx 4 reply sir ... bt now i knw everything abt that......waht can i do nw .....

The options are on the back of your ticket. You can either

(1) Plead guilty

(2) Go to a first attendance meeting where you will still be asked to plead guilty, but they may give you a reduced fine, or

(3) go to trial.

harry22g_s

Unread post by harry22g_s »

if i take a second option.....it will b effect on my licence points....nd it will b show on my driving recket.....nd if i go to trail....if cop is not there....juj reduce the fine... or give ne clean chit....that time it will be show on my recket....

iFly55

Posting Awards

Unread post by iFly55 »

If the improper brakes are under S. 64 of the HTA, then both tickets don't carry demerit points. Option 2: the crown will most likely drop one of the tickets and have the other ticket's fine reduced. You may have to show that you fixed the brake system through a work-order or some pictures.

If you choose to plead guilty to both or one of the tickets, they will show on your driving record and could possibly affect your insurance premiums depending on your policy. You have an opportunity to show financial difficulties (unemployed, dependents, welfare, homeless) with the JP to reduce your fine even further and request extra time to pay, even a monthly installment arrangement.

In Brampton, the crown will most likely withdraw both tickets if the officer is a no-show.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/e ... 0339_e.htm