A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Lucky75

Grounds For An Appeal?

by: Lucky75 on

Hi all,

I recently lost my case for running a red light contrary to 144(18). However, there were two issues which I found odd, and was wondering if it was enough grounds for an appeal?

1) The officer testified as to the duration of the traffic lights. I had video evidence that what he said was incorrect, but being new to defending myself, I brought it on my laptop to present as evidence, and I asked the justice if I could present it after I had started to point out the contradictions in the officer's testimony. I didn't want to tip my hand too early, but I guess I did it too late? The justice wouldn't allow me to present my evidence.

I had thought that there was a ruling that the courts needed to instruct people who are defending themselves and that they would cut me some slack. Is this evidence not being allowed grounds for an appeal?

2) After I said I was finished, the prosecution had a chance to give their closing statements and say why my arguments were invalid, and then the justice jumped right into ruling. I didn't get a chance to rebut what the prosecution said or give my closing arguments. Is this also not grounds for appeal?

Thanks!

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

I'll let someone who can give you a more detailed explanation answer your questions, but if you're going to file an appeal, make sure you are committed to it.

For example, you'll have to pay for your trial transcripts to be typed out and printed for you. Price varies, but they aren't exactly cheap.

Lucky75

by: Lucky75 on

Yeah, I know they can cost a few hundred :(

Do I get that back if they approve the appeal? And what happens to the conviction while the appeal is in progress, is it still on my record until it gets overturned?

Thanks

Post a Reply