Got a Failing to obey signs traffic ticket?
Riggamortizz

Failure To Obey Stop Sign

by: Riggamortizz on

An officer on the traffic unit pulled me over today and said that I had failed to come to a complete stop at a four way stop. He pulled me over a few hundred meters away from the stop sign. When I was asked to provide proof of insurance, I felt that I was not given an ample opportunity to access the information as it was misplaced and there were expired insurance slips with my ownership. I did however find the valid insurance slip, but was not given the traditional 24 hours to provide that proof. When I went to the police station I was informed that when given grace by an officer that you will receive a white slip of paper saying that you may provide proof. Is there any reason why I would not be subject to this grace period? If I take him to court will he have to show video evidence of my failure to stop? Or is this a simple, wait for the court date and obtain disclosure?

Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

See: http://www.simonborys.ca/2010/09/failin ... ance-card/ I never give out 24 hours to provide proof. I either charge or I don't.

He won't have to show video evidence of the fail to stop unless of course if it exists. You'll have to wait for a court date and disclosure or speak to the prosecutor and come to some agreement.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Riggamortizz wrote:An officer on the traffic unit pulled me over today and said that I had failed to come to a complete stop at a four way stop. He pulled me over a few hundred meters away from the stop sign. When I was asked to provide proof of insurance, I felt that I was not given an ample opportunity to access the information as it was misplaced and there were expired insurance slips with my ownership.

You are to surrender your insurance upon request. Your misplaced and messy paperwork isn't the officers issue.

Riggamortizz wrote:I did however find the valid insurance slip, but was not given the traditional 24 hours to provide that proof. When I went to the police station I was informed that when given grace by

an officer that you will receive a white slip of paper saying that you may provide proof. Is there any reason why I would not be subject to this grace period?

It doesn't exist.

Riggamortizz wrote:If I take him to court will he have to show video evidence of my failure to stop? Or is this a simple, wait for the court date and obtain disclosure?

If there is video, sure. I wouldn't bet on there being video though. He simply needs his notes. He doesn't need to go above and beyond with evidence to prove his case.

If you go to trial with your insurance, they'll likely drop the charge for insurance and ask you only plead guilty to not coming to a complete stop.

Riggamortizz

by: Riggamortizz on

My biggest worry is the demerit points and the increase premium on my insurance. It does seem foolish that all an officer needs are his notes. What if I had a witness outside of the car that would say I came to a complete stop? Might be time to invest in a dash cam...

Post a Reply