F18eh

160 In A 80 Zone, How F'd Am I?

by: F18eh on

:( Hello,

I have made a very similar careless mistake as the young man in this post - http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/topic3580.html - i have passed three cars and in the process got caught speeding at 160 kmh. I totally understand passing is no exception to speed, i was being careless. I was talking with the cop and i didnt manage to get much information off of him.... Im only 16. What are my options, and what penalties am i likely to receive? Right now my car is impounded my licence is suspended for 7 days. It will be convenient if i can get back on the road driving ASAP how am i able to do this?

HPTO

by: HPTO on

After the seven days have passed you can go to the ministry and get your licence back after paying a $150 reinstatement fee and you can get your car back after paying the impound fees for the seven days. Nothing will get anything back sooner.

How is it everyone else's fault YOU comitted an offence?
F18eh

by: F18eh on

i have read of other people in my situation having their speeding reduced so it is 49 kmh over enstead of the 50+ over, which is know as stunt driving or racing. This would get rid of the one year suspension correct? :|

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

I dont believe there is any mandatory suspension for stunt driving, but on a first offence you MAY be suspended for up to two years. In terms of plea deals, I typically see the Crown dropping the stunt driving charge (with minimum $2,000 fine and possible suspension and jail time) in exchange for pleading to the speeding charge as is (80 over in your case). I cannot see them dropping the stunt driving charge and giving you a reduction on your speed as well.

In terms of consequences, the normal fine for 80 over would be a $780, but the Crown may ask for more. Furthermore, as a G2 driver youll face a mandatory 30 day suspension once youre convicted.

Insurance will also be very problematic. Once you have a suspension on your record and a major conviction (50+ over) many providers will refuse to insure you. Those that are willing to insure you, will probably charge double or triple what youre currently paying.

Representation can be expensive, but considering how serious your charges are, it might be worth hiring someone to defend you.

Post a Reply