A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

JustBeFair

Speeding Ticket - Not Accurate

by: JustBeFair on

Last night I was travelling with a car in front of me and several cars behind me. A line of traffic, approximately 6 cars was travelling the opposite direction. After the line of cars passed I saw police lights start in my rearview mirror and kept driving. After approximately 40 seconds I looked up and saw the lights were now on my side and travelling towards me. I pulled over to allow the officer to go around and was surprised when they pulled up behind me.

The officer told me that my speed had registered at 109km/h and I immediately told her no. This I know because I looked at my speedometer when I saw the lights of the officer go on and was not concerned that I was getting pulled over as my speed was not excessive. Anyway.. I asked the officer about the car that was in front of me and behind me and she would not respond. She took my information and I provided her with an insurance slip that was expired, my fault because a mouse had ate and ripped apart everything in my glove box including my insurance slip. She laughed and smiled at me before going back to her car. I immediately contacted OPP dispatch with concerns as I had not been travelling that speed. I was told I could request to see the radar speed and to contact the OPP on a regular

She gave me a ticket for going 109km/h in a posted 80km/h and a ticket for not having my current insurance slip. I asked her if I could produce my slip at the OPP as I had been told in the past this is an option and she refused. She told me to try option 2 and that maybe it would work for me. I explained that I had contacted dispatch and was told I could ask see the radar speed. She showed me a little black box in her car that said 109 and I asked how I knew that was from me and she told me that radar had been locked on me? This confuses me because there was a car in front of me, behind me, infront of her and behind her. When I went to get back into my car she attempted to close the door however did not wait for me to be seated properly in the car and as a result the door didnt close, just struck me. By this point I was frustrated and told her to get away from my car. She walked from my car and made comments as she got back into her car.

So heres my problem. I feel like fighting the ticket doesnt really help me even though I wasnt going 109. I live in a small area and police openly tell you that you have a target on your back when you take them to court. I also have to work with the police with my job and cant afford to cause extra conflict. Ive gotten tickets in the past and have paid them knowing that I did it.

What I am looking for is experience with early resolution and what can I expect for lowering the speeds and the insurance slip ticket. I have a good driving record and got a ticket approximately 3 years ago and another one maybe 8 years ago. What can I ask for?

Lastly I am wondering if anyone knows that logistics of radar and how is it possible for the straight line to go through another car to pick up my speed and cause it to be inaccurate?

Thanks!

ynotp

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on

It is your right to contest the charge. Police normally get paid overtime to go to court, so I cannot imagine they will take things personally unless you do.

To be honest, I think you said too much at your stop, the place to dispute the charge is at court. It is best to be as non-memorable as possible.

If you are sure you are not guilty of speeding and on a point of principle refuse to plead guilty even to a reduced charge be prepared to either do your homework and represent yourself or hire a representative to handle it for you and see what the JP decides.

Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

You might not want to bring up most of what you posted if there is a trial.

1) You admitted that you saw police lights in your rearview mirror and yet continued driving for 40 seconds before pulling over.

2) What did you actually think OPP dispatch would be able to do?

3) The officer doesn't have to show you the radar at roadside as it's generally considered unsafe to have a driver standing next to the highway. And when somone sees it they usually don't believe the display anyway.

Your best bet is to request disclosure. The officer may have had you on radar several km before you even saw the rooflights. The roadside is certainly not the place to dispute a ticket.

JustBeFair

by: JustBeFair on

The officer was in a line of traffic going in the opposite direction. The put their lights on after passing me and other cars following me. im the only car that pulled over. the cars behind me drove by me after i got pulled over. and the officer then they took 40 seconds to reach a distance where I needed to pull over after they turned around. I didn't drive 40 with them following me and pulled over thinking I was getting passed not pulled over. I get a lot of people try an get out of tickets, that's not my problem. I deserved the one for not having the current insurance because that's my fault.

My question here is able the radar and inaccuracies. I wasn't going 109 on my speedometer and what to expect at an early resolution. I was going over 80, probably around 95. I won't lie to get myself out of a ticket. I'm not looking for loop holes to fight it later and it must be nice to be in an area where officers don't take it personally.

If anyone can answer my question help is appreciated. I'm curious about radar and how it works and how an officer can say it was my car in a line of cars in the dark with traffic all around and what the ticket speed may get dropped to? Thanks

Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

Your best bet is to simply do an internet search on how police radar works and request disclosure of the officers notes to see what evidence they actually have. Until you know where exactly you were when the officer caught you speeding, you can't assume that you were in that line of traffic.

Moving radar is capable of picking up a single vehicle in a line of traffic depending on the spacing of the vehicles and how fast they are going. The officer doesn't just rely on the radar to determine speed, they also use their eyes to see if one vehicle is travelling faster than the others.

Post a Reply