sjp99

Help: Option 2 - Red Light Camera Ticket

by: sjp99 on

Hi,

I just received a "Red Light Camera System Offense Notice" which shows 2 pictures of my car proceeding thru the intersection. The first 1st pic shows my car at the white line before the crosswalk when the light turned red for 000.4 secs and second picture shows my car in the middle of the intersection at 001.1 secs. The speed shown for my car on the notice was 71.The speed limit was 70. I have never received a ticket before, I'm a very conservative and conscious driver.

The notice quotes sub-section quoted is 144 (18.1) and mentions that the camera is certified to be in working order when the pictures was taken. The fine is $ 325.00.

I have 3 options:

- Option 1: Appear before a Justice and plea not guilty to have a trial.

-Option 2: Early Resolution - Meet with Prosecutor (by choosing this option you do not forego the right to a trial.

-Option 3: Plea guilty and pay $325 fine.

Can someone explain me more about OPTION 2 ? What is this early resolution all about and what are the chances my fine reduced after meeting prosecutors ? Does anyone have any idea or experience on that? I know I committed the offence and but I would like the fine to be reduced if possible. Do you think choosing the Option 2 will help my case or just a waste of time.

Please post your knowledge and experience. Thanks

diehard

by: diehard on

Mugwug wrote:Typically in exchange for a guilty plea the fine can be reduced and the time to pay it can be extended. Not sure how much of a reduction you would be looking at, but friends who have taken this option say their fine was reduced by $100 or so.

What is the risk of getting the demerit points if one tries to bargain a lesser fine?

Mugwug

by: Mugwug on

There are no demerit points for a red light camera ticket or photo radar ticket - they are processed in the same manner as parking tickets - against the registered owner of the vehicle regardless of who was operating the vehicle.

This is why it costs three times as much for a red light camera ticket as opposed to one issued by an officer, no points.

Mugwug

by: Mugwug on

OPS Copper wrote:umm red light camera and red light police issued cost the same.

My bad, OPS is absolutely correct. I had disobey stop sign stuck in my head for some reason. Set fine etc is the same, no points for a red light camera ticket though.

madman5890

by: madman5890 on

Hi there, the same thing happened to me except i was going way over the speed limit. I'm just curious what the result was and if you could share your experience to assist me. Was it worth fighting the ticket? What advice can you give me as I just received this ticket in the mail.

Thanks,

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

madman5890 wrote:Hi there, the same thing happened to me except i was going way over the speed limit. I'm just curious what the result was and if you could share your experience to assist me. Was it worth fighting the ticket? What advice can you give me as I just received this ticket in the mail.

Thanks,

Everything you need to know was already explained.

Once the fine is paid, it's over with. There's no insurance implications, no points, no nothing. They don't know who is driving. You either pay or you can't renew your plates later on. That's it.

The original poster wasn't fighting this ticket. They were simply trying to have it reduced in return for a guilty plea.

Requesting trial for these tickets is usually a big waste of time. They have all the evidence they need for a conviction.

Post a Reply