A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

markd1

What Can I Drive!?

by: markd1 on

So I got convicted of a dui.. I have been riding my bike in the snow and taking the bus. I am a driving enthusiast and I will be going to the race track all summer but I NEED to drive something right now!

I have done lots of research and even an electric assisted bike that a 16 year old can drive legally on the road is not an option to someone with a dui suspension.

Now I also considered a farm tractor that wouldnt need insurance or a licence to drive.. but nope not if you have a dui!

so they really put me in a bad situation hear.. I think I can ONLY ride my bike.. surprised they let me take the bus haha.

Well I think maybe if I could afford a traction engine/steam car I would have a chance but they are way expensive and id probably still run into problems..

So anyone able to suggest what type of vehicle I can drive?

Ill build it if I have to.. im considering a WAW velo or similar but I cant use the electric motor.. rockets? haha I would love a traction engine pouring out coal ash and loud steam blow offs at 2am... id put a sign on the back.. they took my licence! deal with it... POOOF POOOOFF SHHEEEEEESSS CHUGGA CHUGGA CHUGGA CHOOOOO!

Mugwug

by: Mugwug on

markd1 wrote:...so they really put me in a bad situation hear.. I think I can ONLY ride my bike.. surprised they let me take the bus haha.

You did have something to do with this outcome, no?

markd1 wrote: I am a driving enthusiast and I will be going to the race track all summer but I NEED to drive something right now!

I may be misunderstanding this part, but you do understand you are not permitted to operate a motor vehicle even on private property, right?

You are pretty much restricted to bicycles and public transport. Your prohibition would include any motor vehicle powered by any kind of motor, on public roads and private property. You risk serious criminal charges trying to do an end-run around this.

Interlock program?

swontleo

by: swontleo on

markd1 wrote:So I got convicted of a dui.. I have been riding my bike in the snow and taking the bus. I am a driving enthusiast and I will be going to the race track all summer but I NEED to drive something right now!

Ill build it if I have to.. im considering a WAW velo or similar but I cant use the electric motor.. rockets? haha I would love a traction engine pouring out coal ash and loud steam blow offs at 2am... id put a sign on the back.. they took my licence! deal with it... POOOF POOOOFF SHHEEEEEESSS CHUGGA CHUGGA CHUGGA CHOOOOO!

This is a criminal code conviction, you can not operate any type of motor vehicle anywhere in Canada. CC definition not HTA.

This includes race cars on tracks, golf carts on courses, even a riding lawn mower on your own property. You're really testing the waters by trying to push it.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

259. (1) When an offender is convicted of an offence committed under section 253 or 254 or this section or discharged under section 730 of an offence committed under section 253 and, at the time the offence was committed or, in the case of an offence committed under section 254, within the three hours preceding that time, was operating or had the care or control of a motor vehicle, vessel or aircraft or of railway equipment or was assisting in the operation of an aircraft or of railway equipment, the court that sentences the offender shall, in addition to any other punishment that may be imposed for that offence, make an order prohibiting the of- fender from operating a motor vehicle on any street, road, highway or other public place, or from operating a vessel or an aircraft or railway equipment, as the case may be, (a) for a first offence, during a period of not more than three years plus any period to which the offender is sentenced to imprison- ment, and not less than one year; (b) for a second offence, during a period of not more than five years plus any period to which the offender is sentenced to imprison- ment, and not less than two years; and (c) for each subsequent offence, during a pe- riod of not less than three years plus any pe- riod to which the offender is sentenced to imprisonment.

------------

You can be charged with impaired anywhere in Canada but the prohibition does not cover private property. But to the OP, anything driven by anything other than muscular power is a motor vehicle and thus you cannot drive it, steam driven or otherwise.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

The prohibition does cover private property. Read on in section 259(4). This is the actual charge section.

Operation while disqualified

(4) Every offender who operates a motor vehicle, vessel or aircraft or any railway equipment in Canada while disqualified from doing so, other than an offender who is registered in an alcohol ignition interlock device program established under the law of the province in which the offender resides and who complies with the conditions of the program,

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or

(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Post a Reply