StuartSWL

When Can I Drive Again?

by: StuartSWL on

I was unaware that I was driving without insurance (I had been paying the ex for it..she didn't pay the insurance). So, when I was pulled over and this was discovered I went to court.

I'm a sales guy and that month I was expecting a huge commision...and personally, I believe in accepting responsibility for ones actions. So, in court I plead guilty with an explanation, accepted the $5000 fine and went about things. Turns out that the deal I was waiting on abruptly crashed, I didn't get my comission and couldn't pay the 5K fine. I haven't driven since.

This was over 8 years ago. I'm still not in a position to pay this fine. What happens to the fine? Does it dissapear after a certain amount of time? I find it a little crazy that I haven't driven in over 8 years...and yet drunk drivers even get their license back.

I'm "hoping" that eventually the fine disappears and that I can go through the whole getting my license again. But I just don't know what to expect or what my next step is.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Unfortunately fines never expire.

Your best option would be to attend your local Provincial Offences Court and explain your situation. Theres a form you can fill out that a Justice of the Peace will review to setup a payment plan. Typically as long as youre able to pay some of your fine now and continue making regular payments, you can get your licence temporarily reinstated until your fines are paid in full. The people at the Courts will be able to explain the process in detail.

Post a Reply