A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
Steve131

67 In A 50 Zone. $42.50 Fine

by: Steve131 on

I got a ticket coming home from class today, on Main st Markham /16th ave. The fine is for $42.50 and I'm wondering if it's worth fighting. The $40 isn't too bad but I read that going 16-29 over the limit is 3 demirit points, so that makes it 17 over for me... The officer was nice, said there were complaints in the area so be careful around here, there were 2 other cars that got pulled over with me. Anyways, she didn't say anything about points and I don't see anything on the ticket but I'm turning 25 this year, so I'd like to avoid the points if I'll be getting some...

Thanks in advance for any advice, Steven.

daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

This offence does carry points, however if all you want to do is keep the points off your record I'm almost certain that you could plea bargain the ticket down to 15 over so that their would be no points. The best way to do this is to book an early resolution meeting with the prosecutor and ask them if they will reduce the charge to 15 over or less in exchange for a guilty plea.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Steve131 wrote:I got a ticket coming home from class today, on Main st Markham /16th ave. The fine is for $42.50 and I'm wondering if it's worth fighting. The $40 isn't too bad but I read that going 16-29 over the limit is 3 demirit points, so that makes it 17 over for me... The officer was nice, said there were complaints in the area so be careful around here, there were 2 other cars that got pulled over with me. Anyways, she didn't say anything about points and I don't see anything on the ticket but I'm turning 25 this year, so I'd like to avoid the points if I'll be getting some...

Thanks in advance for any advice, Steven.

Points are overrated. People spend way to much time worried about them when they shouldn't. They disappear after 2 years and take effect from your charge date, not conviction. They are also easy to bargain down. You'd have to be pretty reckless to ever accumulate enough points for it to mean something. They will not be listed on the ticket.

The problem isn't the points, the problem is your insurance. Your insurance doesn't care about points. Your insurance doesn't care if you were going 1km over (0 points) or 17km (3 points), it's all speeding and it's all the same thing to them up until 50km. They will use the charge to possibly raise your rates, especially if you're under 25. Then that ticket isn't costing you $42.50 anymore.

Anyways, if you're worried about points it should be pretty easy to get this reduced. Either choose an early meeting or go to trial. I don't see why they wouldn't reduce your charge to 15km and give you 0 points in return for your guilt. That is if the officer hadn't already reduced your ticket.

Steve131

by: Steve131 on

Ahh I see, thanks for clearing that up for me.

On the points issue, I've always been told that's the one thing I must avoid, points on my record doesn't look good. I guess they were trying to force that on me when I started driving hoping it help deter bad habits on the road, and honestly it did help a bit lol.

The officer didn't tell me about anything being reduced. She showed me the machine with 67 on it, and that's whats on the ticket. So I'm contemplating to go tomorrow and file for an intention to appear in court. Dad been telling me about getting disclosure and stuff saying it's a good experience to go through but it's all new to me, and sounds awfully complicated. Don't know anyone that's really been through the process and never have myself, I had a ticket reduced to just 10km over like 4 years ago but I paid the $40 and went on my way.

Anyways, thanks for input again. Going to google about disclosures and how these proceedings work.

Post a Reply